Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Slowplay the set?

Happy Friday all,
I feel so vulnerable slowplaying any set, especially with a draw on the board. With the uncoordinated board, but SEVERAL people staying in, does it make sense to smooth call the flop and hit em on the turn? All comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (15 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP2 folds, Hero raises, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 03-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Slowplay the set?

Well, I'll say that normally slowplaying a set is a bad idea, especially at Micros where you will get paid off big without slowplaying. However this looks like a good place to just smooth call the flop bet and raise it up on the turn when you can trap all the callers between you and the SB for an extra big bet. I would probably wait for the turn to raise. Anybody want to tell me I'm wrong? ('cause I could be)

And happy Friday to you too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM

I agree with you on all counts. Un-coordinated board on the flop, I'd probably slowplay here.

In most cases I do feel that slowplaying sets (especially small ones) is a mistake.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM

I think u played it good. On the turn i would have tried to check raise but i always am doing stupid stuff like that.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 PM

Wow you're always doing stupid stuff like going for a checkraise from the button! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] You should work on that!

jk, I think you thought he was in the small blind here, but he is the button. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2004, 02:05 PM

While it is not the norm, for me, I would certainly smooth call the flop, then raise the turn.

It seems like this is a case where all the planets are aligned just right for a SP

JW
Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I like this too with this flopped board and passive preflop.

Great position, uncoordinated board and you want an overcard to fall and make someone's top pair or even two pair. The turn brings just that, hopefully someone early has a strong Q and comes out betting...the rest of the field with As and Ks calls and you raise.

Good trap play, like that approach with this hand, board, and position.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:58 PM

I think the flop raise is fine, not a bad idea to get all those trapped people for another bet, but I just call here. There's not much of a draw on the board and if you can trap all these people for two big bets that would be fine indeed. Plus this looks like a flop that may not have hit anybody very hard so if you raise now, people may be looking for reasons to get out on the turn.

By the river, a J-10 or a 6-7 beat you, but your hand looks pretty good, I hope you took this juicy pot home.

--Zetack
Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM

JJ,

I think smooth calling the flop and raising the turn would have been a better play on this particular hand. You will never get a less scary board than this one. Most the time I like to ram and jam when I think I am ahead, but in this case with all the players trapped between the original bettor and yourself I think you missed some bets. Minimal risk with maximum reward.

TheRake
Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 PM

Hey Jordan:

I like the way you played it. While I understand that the board is hardly threatening, and your overall position and relative position to the bettor are great, I still think collecting the extra sb from 6 opponents (5 since MP1 folded [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])with the flop raise is probably best.

Because:

1. You are in a perfect position to collect the extra bets right now.
2. People will not put you on a monster hand by just raising the flop once, so you still may get extra action on later streets depending on what cards fall.
3. You cannot be certain the sb will bet out again. If a big card falls and it gets checked to MP2 who bets, you will wish you had collected the bets when you had the perfect opportunity to do so.

Anyway, I am not saying that slowplaying is bad. If you were 1 or 2 spots to the left of the sb, I would most certainly just call on the flop. But you are in a perfect spot to get an extra sb from the entire field. I would go ahead and do so.

--Rico