Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Being rude on 2+2 makes me feel big!

Lately I keep stumbling into posts where users add no value, nor any constructive criticism. They're just the result of a 2+2er who felt like being a bit dickish.

They don't make anyone happier.
They don't make anyone smarter.
They don't make anyone a better poker player.
The only thing they do is help devalue the community, like litter thrown on the side of a trail.

Every time you post on 2+2, you are making a tiny impact on hundreds of people, and you're using their time and energy to do it.

Let's not let this place turn into RGP.
-Kevin
Old 03-05-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Being rude on 2+2 makes me feel big!

Hi mosch:

I agree with you, but only to a point. When playing poker, you will run into people at the tables who behave exactly as you describe. Many of them do this by design, and they believe it helps them win your chips.

Now the purpose of these forums is to have vigorous debate and a little fun. We also all should try to treat each other with respect. However, if you have trouble handling those things that you are complaining about, and I'm not saying that this is the case in your situation, imagine how you might break down psychologically at the poker table.

Something to think about.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-05-2004, 11:00 AM

Mosch,

I agree with you. There seems to be a small group of posters here who do little more than post one line "zingers". There also seems to be many who really add nothing of substance to any of their posts. I guess in an attempt to make Pooh-bah status in record time. Or maybe it is a fear of being critized by the "zinger" people [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. All you get from them is 500 posts all containing generic information.

"bet the river"
"fold this crap pre-flop"
"i'de play it the same" etc.

(I post in micro and small stakes. Maybe this is not a problem in the mid, high stakes forum)

There is absolutely nothing enlightening or interesting about these types of responses.

TheRake
Old 03-05-2004, 12:18 PM

Default You\'re an idiot and you reason like a 3 year old

and how could you CALL with that hand?

(just doing what I can to help "train" you- Mason told me to)
Old 03-05-2004, 02:34 PM

i may be one of the posters you're talking about, but i'd like to think that a healthy mix is necessary. i feel that i do my best to contribute to poker discussion sometimes, and i feel that sometimes i just let loose with one line zingers all day. we all don't have to be uptight, just like in a shorthanded game we all gotta loosen up!

like i said, i think balance is the key issue
Old 03-05-2004, 04:19 PM

Daryn-

Just to be specific, I'm not referring people who make posts like yours. I've never read anything you wrote and thought to myself "man, I'd never invite that jacky to my home game."
Old 03-05-2004, 10:57 PM

Default If you can\'t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! *NM

you got zinged

ps. are these the types of posts you're referring to?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:16 PM

Default A few replies in one

I'm not referring to terse or snarky comments in general. I decided to write the above post after reading two posts by the same user which were nothing but personal attacks against new users. Had my first posts garnered these responses, I would've left 2+2. (And no, it's too late to drive me off now. HA!)

A post like 'muck it pre-flop, then again on the flop, at the turn and on the river' is a criticism of the play, not the player. It's snarky, but serves a purpose. A post like 'What makes you think you're qualified to play poker?' is not useful. It serves only to drive away a new player, who just wants to learn.

My point would be more clear if I linked to actual posts, but I'd rather not explore the nadir of 2+2. I just wanted to put forth the idea that sometimes we should all travel the road less dickish, and criticize the plays, not the players.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: A few replies in one

why not point them out? I enjoy hounding people being deliberately "snarky" (nice word) especially to new people.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: A few replies in one

Mosch,

If it makes you feel any better I am new and I've been called at least 6 names. Matter of fact I have people PMing me asking when I will restart a prop program and how my gizzard is doing.

A simple saying I think applies here, "There is no fixing stupid."