Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 03:07 PM

Default ADVICE SEEKED!

10/20 Hollywood Park 9 Players

5 loose ( one is aggresive, the rest passive ) players limp to me on the button., I have 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and call. the SB completes and the BB checks. The BB is tight, but he folds on the flop after the SB bet.

8 to the flop for 8 small bets...... 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] it is capped 5 way with me doing the 3-bet....

The turn brings a 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( damn ) and then it is checked around to me. What is your play?

Results to come later

Thanks for any responses
Old 03-04-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: ADVICE SEEKED!

Bet - while you are likely beat here, in the event you are not, you don't want to give single clubs a free card and you still have 10 outs assuming nobody else is on a higher set, in which case you are drawing virtually dead.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:30 PM

I could not disagree more! first off it is likely you're ahead and any club that is there and would call for a bet isn't going away. yes youd like to but you would hate to be raised here. since one of the loosies is aggressive i'd check this here.

it has a few pros:
-disguises your hand
-induces people to call a bet on the river they wouldn't have on the turn had you bet
-induces people to bet at a pot they would have have had you bet the turn
-you get a free card to hit the boat if somebody is sandbagging their flush-TAKE IT
-your check will give somebody a chance to hit a higher card and pair their card to pay you off or bet and call your raise.

Cons:
-a bet might knock out a low club that would make a low flush to beat your set on the river, but if the players are really loose even then the low club might still come.
-you might cost yoruself the pot-but this is mitigated by the fact that all in all those hands that will beat you when you check would call your bet and would be correct to do so (although you'd be wrong to let them hit for free, the above considerations make checking better here i think)

questions? comments?
-Barron
Old 03-04-2004, 03:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i doubt he has all 10 outs considering the flop was capped 5 ways. bizarre 2-pair combinations or set-over-set could reduce to him to hoping for a 3. i think it's a check here. it would really blow to eat 4 bets on the turn here only to find out he was playing a 1-outer. if he fills up on the river he can pay off and see. everyone checking on the turn is very suspect - no way to know without being there what that could mean.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:50 PM

I forgot to even factor in the cap. HELLLOOOO, another pro to checking. you may be totally dead already save your case 3. it also depends where the callers were. if the callers were in early or middle then their certainly going to check their flushes into gaggle of bettors behind them.

i now am certain you should check this hand and call a bet and maybe a bet and a raise on the river depending on who makes the bet/raise (callers vs. bettors on the flop). do NOT raise if its bet as you will not be called by a weaker hand.

-Barron
Old 03-04-2004, 03:51 PM

The pot is giving good odds for evryone to draw for one more bet and even a c/r. I say take a free card and call a bet on the river.

Advice Sought! would be a better heading
Old 03-04-2004, 03:52 PM

Default I cannot believe this is my thousandth post

This is a very easy check unless your opponents are total fools.

Sometimes you should raise pre-flop (especially if you where in the cut-off).

I don't think 'seeked' is a word.

-Diplomat
Old 03-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Yah, I am an idiot..... stressed out at work and decided to try some new words that have never been heard before!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:14 PM

Default thesauras man

I don't think 'seeked' is a word.

Try sought [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Have any of you checkers every played in California games? I'd bet the turn everytime and expect to get called by somebody holding the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checking on the turn here is a very weak play. You've got the best hand a significant majority of the time and will get called by several hands which are drawing dead. When you are beaten, you have many out since some of your opponents were jamming with 76o and 42o.