Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Middle boat against a loosey

Party 2/4. EP is tilting jerk sitting with 12K at the table. He's fairly tight preflop, but hangs on too long postflop with weak draws hoping to suck out on all the "idiots" at the table. MP is really loose, but not really aggressive. He hasn't gotten way out of line yet.

Preflop: EP limps, MP limps, LP limps, I complete the SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB checks. 5 players, 5 SB.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, BB checks, EP bets, MP calls, LP folds, I check-raise, BB folds, EP and MP call. 3 players, 5 BB.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Lovely. I bet, EP calls, MP raises, I 3-bet, EP folds, MP caps. I think EP would have called one more bet here with something like a gutshot or an overpair. I was hoping he'd have something worth calling 2, but alas, no. Heads up, 14 BB.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, MP raises, I...

MP is hard to read here. I haven't seen him 3-bet or cap anything before, but that's partly because no one at the table's been very aggressive, so I don't think I've seen anyone 3-bet him at all. Possible holdings for him include AA, KK, AdKd, none of which he'd raise preflop, Adxd, 66, 65, 43, 22, 62s, a bare 6, plus possibly others. I really have no idea what his standards for capping the turn are, but I think it's likely the 6 either helped him or he was slowplaying a straight. When he raises the river, I give him enough credit to put him on at least a high flush, more likely a boat of some sort. 3-bet or call? How close is this?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Middle boat against a loosey

3-bet, and it's not close. It's most likely your opponent hit the ace-high flush on the turn (maybe even Ad6d). I don't fear 66 here.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet, and it's not close. It's most likely your opponent hit the ace-high flush on the turn (maybe even Ad6d). I don't fear 66 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you get a deck change after the hand if he does have Ad6d, and yeah, 3-bet.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:18 PM

Given that you opponent is really loose, you could be ahead or behind here. His most likely hand is Ax of diamonds, but you could be up against a bigger full house also, or even a straight flush. Loose players tend to overplay moderately big hands, like flushes on paired boards, so I would go ahead and 3bet, and make a crying call if he 4bets.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Results

I 3-bet fairly quickly, thinking "This is going to suck if he caps", he immediately caps...and shows 22 for the underboat. Sweet. Apparently we both thought the other was overplaying a flush.