Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Taj 3/6 - I hold the nut flush and I\'m scared to death...

We made the treck to AC Saturday afternoon and were able to get in 6 hours of play at the Taj. One hand in particular stuck out in my mind, I am interested to hear comments on the play here.

I knew there was an eventful day ahead after this one...

It's 3/6, this is the end of my first orbit, about 15 minutes after I sat down. I am UTG and I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I open raise, UTG+1 coldcalls and the BB calls. 3 of us to the flop.

The flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, BB coldcalls, I 3-bet, they both call.

The turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I am happy.

Now BB bets out, I call, UTG+1 raises, BB calls, I 3-bet, UTG+1 caps [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] we both call.

The river is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, BB calls 2, what's my play? I have no idea about this guy, in fact I can't even see him, as I am in the 10 seat and he's in the 1 (and the dealer is a mountain of a man). I don't have much on BB either, but he has to have something to be hanging around this long (the only thing I noticed is that he folded most of his hands preflop during the last orbit).

I have the nut flush, but am scared to death. Anyone keep raising here, or would you just call it down?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Taj 3/6 - I hold the nut flush and I\'m scared to death...

If you don't put in the last raise in this spot, I fear for your mortal soul.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 AM

Keep raising!

The board is not paired so the only hand that beats you is the straight flush. While it's possible someone has the straight flush, it's much more likely that your opponents are going too far with other hands like a straight, non-nut flush, or whatever.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 AM

BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, BB calls 2, what's my play?

Auto three-bet. You're only behind 76h and 62h. Clearly, BB does not have one of these hands and UTG+1 likely does not either, especially 62h unless he's a nut who would coldcall with that preflop. There are so many other hands he could have that you are ahead of (any other flush or a set), that the thought of him having 76h shouldn't even enter your mind. If you were heads-up, you'd have to have to best hand only 2/3 of the time for three-betting to be correct, and with another player in there you need to have the best hand even less often.

I have no idea about this guy, in fact I can't even see him, as I am in the 10 seat and he's in the 1 (and the dealer is a mountain of a man).

What does seeing your opponent have to do with anything? Tells are highly overrated. In this situation, you would need to pick up a huge tell not to three-bet, something like your opponent accidentally flashing one of his cards.

I don't have much on BB either, but he has to have something to be hanging around this long (the only thing I noticed is that he folded most of his hands preflop during the last orbit).

Obviously he has something, but it isn't the mortal nuts. He wouldn't have just coldcalled the river with that hand.

-- Homer

p.s. - I have a feeling that you might have been intimidated by playing in a live setting.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 AM

It's a live 3/6 game, someone capping is less meaningful even when compared to a Party 0.5/1 game. Don't let that scare you into seeing monsters under your bed.

If you think you are better than 2:1 (and in my estimation you are faaaar better than 2:1) having the best hand here, you should put in as many bets as you can.

My guess is that one of them has a lower flush, and the other guy probably an A and thought his bicycle straight was good.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 AM

BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, BB calls 2, what's my play? I have the nut flush, but am scared to death. Anyone keep raising here, or would you just call it down?

Cap it. If he has 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] well,nothing you can do. Why did you feel so scared with the third nut hand?

He most likely has KJ or K10 hearts or an Ace for the wheel.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:35 AM

You should be standing on the table shoveling your chips in the center. End of story.

- Jim
Old 03-01-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Results

I wussed out and called it down.

BB flipped J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the flush.
UTG+1 flipped K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the flush.

And my flush is good. Not sure why I was so scared about the str8 flush... probably a combination of inexperience in live games, and the fact that it was so early in my session and I wanted to play as conservatively as possible. This, of course, is probably awful logic but it was my only logic at the time. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does seeing your opponent have to do with anything? Tells are highly overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with tells. I was just saying that not only do I have no idea what kind of player this guy is, byt the way we were situated it was almost like a real person didn't exist over there in my mind. Christ, I have enough trouble playing my cards and trying to figure out my opponent's cards, I have no business trying to pick up tells on anyone! (Not that it would matter much at this level anyway, even if I could)

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. - I have a feeling that you might have been intimidated by playing in a live setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you are 100% correct. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't let that scare you into seeing monsters under your bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do alot of this in live games. Not sure why, hopefully this will fade as I gain live experience.

Thinking back on it, if this exact hand had occured in my regular internet game I'm sure I would keep raising until I was dead broke. Funny how different it is live.