Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Second grade mistake

I made a stupid mistake(s) Friday night because I wasn't thinking, just playing. I am late with 76d. Enough limpers to me to make a limp worth while. Flop comes down A,J,7 rainbow.

One bet, one limper to me, looks like no one has any real interest so I decide I will see the turn. Turn is a 7, now the board is: A,J,7,7 with two spades giving me a set.

Checked to me, I bet, first player raises, second player folds. I decide he is on two pair or a draw, who cares, I have a set. I call his raise because I want him to hang around.

River card is three clubs, for a board of: A,J,7,7,3 with two spades, and two clubs. Too bad, you missed I think to myself - second thought of the round....

Checked to me I bet out because I have a set, it's hu, he missed his draw, and I am raised??? Of course! He has Top two pair...my bad, gotta start paying attention - even though I am all ready stacking the chips in my head. Okay, I will let him off easy, he is obviously a new player. I call his raise. He shows me J7o.

This hand has a lot to think about in retrospect. I played stupidly from the flop onward. Compounding one mistake with another. I lost most of what extra chips I had collected. I made my set on the board, not in my hand - a big difference. I didn't give him credit for anything. I wasn't thinking, just playing.

This hand in itself is no big deal - thanks in part to passive betting. But two or three of these a session will make me or you a loser for the night against average to good competition. Don't play like I did with your mind somewhere else.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Second grade mistake

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I will let him off easy, he is obviously a new player. I call his raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of thinking was the biggest mistake you made
Old 02-29-2004, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I will let him off easy, he is obviously a new player. I call his raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that mentality, perhaps subconsciously you only called instead of raising because you knew you were already beat.

Yes, its amazing just how small the margin of error can be to determine the difference between a losing playe/ break even player/ winning player. One big mistake in a 2 hour session can ruin your whole night, even for an expert player. Even a couple small ones that don't seem so big will cut down your stacks.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:34 PM

For future reference, you had trips, not a set. As you learned the hard way, a set is much more powerful than trips.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:56 PM

His opponent didn't have set, but he did still learn the hard way.

Haupt_234
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His opponent didn't have set, but he did still learn the hard way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he did.