Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 06:27 PM

Default NL $25 @ PP

Does anybody play at the NL games either max $25 or $50? I would like some advice on how to differ my play from my usual .5/1 or 1/2 games. I think its better to slow play more in the NL room. Is that true? Here is NL one hand i played today and one limit...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold 'Em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

MP1 ($67.95)
MP2 ($17.85)
CO ($87.20)
Button ($25.35)
SB ($21.40)
foofighter ($16.80)
UTG ($13.50)
UTG+1 ($34.40)

Preflop: foofighter is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.5, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.5, CO calls $0.5, Button calls $0.5, SB completes, foofighter checks.

Flop: ($3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB bets $1, foofighter calls $1, UTG raises to $2, MP2 calls $2, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB calls $1, foofighter raises to $6, UTG calls $4, MP2 raises to $17.35 (All-In), Button folds, SB folds, foofighter calls $10.3 (All-In), UTG calls $7 (All-In).

Turn: ($53.65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: ($53.65) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $53.65
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $46, between MP2, foofighter and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by foofighter ($46).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $6.60, between MP2 and foofighter.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by foofighter ($6.60).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 3: $1.05, overbet by MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ac 2c (three of a kind, twos).
MP2 shows Qc 4c (one pair, twos).
foofighter shows Ts Td (full house, tens full of twos).
Outcome: foofighter wins $52.60. MP2 wins $1.05. </font>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (8 handed)

Preflop: foofighter is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button folds, foofighter calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
foofighter checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, foofighter raises, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 3-bets, CO folds, foofighter caps, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
foofighter bets, MP2 raises, foofighter 3-bets, MP2 calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
foofighter bets, MP2 raises, foofighter 3-bets $3 (All-In), MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21.50 BB, between MP2 and foofighter.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by foofighter (21.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 shows Ah Kc (three of a kind, aces).
foofighter shows 5h 5s (full house, fives full of aces).
Outcome: foofighter wins 21.50 BB. </font>
Old 02-28-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: NL $25 @ PP

yes good topic, I think NL25 and NL50 tables at party require several changes from your usual play if you are used to normal 1/2 tables. From what ive observed over the last week or two playing NL50 tables:

1. bad players. im up about 1400 in the last week playing NL25 and NL50 tables, whereas it took me much longer to get half that at pokerstars. pretty often players will go all in when they shouldnt, and overall if you have a decent amount in the bank behind you, its worth calling a few more than these than your normally would. i see this especially happen when people miss their flushes, have TPTK, ect.
2. play almost all pocket pairs despite being behind pot odds-wise. the implied odds are so huge at these tables, as people will very regularly call your huge bets, or throw huge bets back at you. if you land trips on the flop you are golden, people tend to be a bit too focused on the board and hate throwing away hands.
3. I'm not positive about this, but i find it much better to limp in with hands like KQ, K10, ect instead of raising, because peple are calling stations, you cant get people out of the pot by raising. so unless you are raising just to build the pot, its usually not worth it.
4. as you said, I think slowplaying is very important at these tables. people are very prone to throwing out bets to buy the pot when you do, but be aware that people will draw forever on you sometimes.
5. people love to call but dont like to reraise, so get out when you see a reraise.
6. betting pot to get out flush drawers usually doesnt work, so i just get as much out of them as possible and use the 70% chance they wont hit to my advantage

I'm sure there is more, someone feel free to disagree with me on these observations.
GL