Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Bet the river?

rate my poor play on this one

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB folds, MP1 bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 bets, MP3 calls, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, MP3 calls, Hero caps, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (19 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 19 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 19 BB, between MP1, MP3 and Hero.</font>

Results in white: <font color="white">MP1 shows 7h Ah (two pairs, aces and sevens). MP3 shows 6d 5c (a pair of fives). Hero shows Qc Qd (three of a kind, queens). </font>

my reasoning for not betting the river was I figured mp3 was on the flush draw. Once again, I give party opponents far too much credit for their hands.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Bet the river?

Raise flop.
I´m ok with checking river here, since some guy coldcalled 3 on the turn, it would be easier to know if you had raised the flop though.
Dont slowplay vs Fish.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:02 AM

raise the flop...

i would probably bet river also...
Old 02-27-2004, 06:51 AM

Ok, this answer is results oriented, but bet the river! Judging by MP3:s ultra poor play, you have to have some idea that he's the fishiest among the fishes. With that read, the bet becomes clear.

Without a read, my general play in this siutation is usually to bet. Often smaller flushes will just call so you're basically only afraid of Jx, Kx and Ax flushes to raise you. Sometimes you'll see in the chat-window something like "was afraid you had the A high flush".
Old 02-27-2004, 09:06 AM

not raising the flop is the only mistake I can see here, would check river in case someone was intending to check-raise a flush (although with hindsight this might be to overestimate your opponents)
Old 02-27-2004, 12:31 PM

I agree completely. I would definitely raise the flop in this case. And I am also fine with checking the river. From what I've seen at these limits, the fish will almost always go for a check/raise when they catch their draw at the end. I would have assumed MP3 would have been on a flush draw to call down this far. Horrible play overall on his part. Even if you bet out, you probably would have only gotten 1 BB out of it. And IMO you will lose 2 BB's often enough in this situation to make the check through a +EV play.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:39 PM

raise and reraiseon the flop. you figure at least one of your opponets already has an A. dont let them take a free chance on pulling yet another one on 4th/5ths street.

now, a pair of 5. that's just a dumb play.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM

I am not sure why you dont raise the flop? You are letting the draws get in for cheap.

Then on the river, you gots-to-bet it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I cant imagine them being on a flush draw then checking it when it hits for risk of it getting checked through.

jw
Old 02-27-2004, 12:55 PM

Jam it on the flop, you're going to get action with that board. I'd strongly lean towards betting the river. Maybe somebody made the flush, but maybe some clown will call you with a pair of fives. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 PM

Raise the flop. The flop was as good as it gets and if you end up getting drawn out by the flush, oh well.

-Mike