Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Value bet on the river?

I'v been having a lot of trouble deciding what to do on the river with hands such as these. Most of the time I end up thinking to myself, well, if I get called I'm probably beet any way and check after the last player in the pot checks to me. Heat is an example (2/4 prima)

six man table me in the CO with 99
First player limps, second folds, I raise, button folds both blinds call.

Flop: 10, 8, 5, rainbow

checked to me I bet BB and first limper call

Turn is a 4, checked to me again, i bet both call

river is a king, checked to me, I check

Anyway, the check on the river is where I'm Not sure what I should be doing. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Value bet on the river?

Their calls imply that they have something, either a draw or a lone card (stating the obvious).

After a rainbow flop like that, the only draw hand would be either 69 or 67, which only one would hit. You can probably safely assume that a draw didn't hit or you would have most likely been bet into on the turn or check-raised on the turn.

So, they are most likely calling on overcards, a 10, or an 8. Since an overcard did hit and both have been checking a.k.a. holding on to their pairs/overcards, a check is the smarter move here.

If they call you down to the river, it will be tough to make one more bet and both of them to fold over it.

Haupt_234
Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 PM

If they are REAL loose, REAL tenacious, and reasonably aggressive you can bet for value since its likely you still have the best hand (especially after they check the river). Otherwise [1] there was certainly some doubt about whether you had the best hand on the turn (players WILL check-and-call with Ts in that spot) [2] They could have just hit their over-card [3] A normal person with a pair of 8s (the hand you want to pay you off) may not call in the face of 2 overcards and an aggressie raiser.

Usually check.

- Louie
Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 PM

With two callers like that I check it through on the turn and then see what happens on the river.

In that situation if I am only calling one person on the river, I call.

By the way, value bet questions are very difficult to answer because making a value bet often depends on the competition.