Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Cheap Lesson in FPS?

Playing in a 2-4 at Party and it seemed that the deck hit me flush between the eye. I was drawing sets, my TPTK stood up, etc. and I was up about 30BB in 45 minutes when everyone folded to me, holding AA in SB.

I decided to call and BB knuckled. The flop was 4 2 6 rainbow and I checked, planning to check-raise. BB cooperated and I raised. He called.

Turn was a 7, I bet and he called. River was a harmless-looking 3. I bet. He just called and turned over 9 5o.

I wouldn't have done this in a higher limit game but it sure was a memorable lesson.

Anybody tried something similar in nature?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Cheap Lesson in FPS?

A post of mine from last week.

FPS: Medical Fact Sheet

Lori
Old 02-27-2004, 12:50 AM

The question is not whether you lost money by what you call FPS. It is whether playing AA that way will yield more profits over the long term than raising. I think the answer is obvious: yes.
Of course, he plays so badly that he might have called if you had raised, but virtually everyone would fold that hand before the flop, giving you a total profit of one small bet on AA.
Did you really wait all those hours to win one small bet with them?
Regards,
Al
Old 02-27-2004, 01:56 PM

Default results based analysis

Anybody tried something similar in nature?

Has anyone not slowplayed AA when they weren't getting much action? this isn't a fancy play, it's routine; and the fact that you lost the hand doesn't make it wrong. Then again if you're playing 2/4 at Party I might see you sometime if I'm slumming it a bit so yes, raise every time you have AA. Incidently if you're convinced 95 would've folded had you raised there then you haven't played much 2/4 at party and if you think the 3 putting a 1 card straight on the board is harmless looking, what exactly where you afraid of seeing on the river?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:31 PM

the thing about open raising from the SB is no one puts you on AA. so raise, they might reraise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. just because you lost doesn't make what you did a bad play though.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:37 PM

You played it fine, though I'd prefer to wait until the turn to check-raise. Your hand is not very vulnerable, and there's a reasonable chance that he's going to fold the minute you play back at him because some BB's will just keep betting routinely if their opponent hasn't shown any strength.

Preflop, I might raise if I'd always been raising in that spot, but if you've sometimes been limping/completing then limping/completing is okay. Note that this play should also help you to limp/complete with marginally playable hands in future orbits when you'd like to see the flop cheaply.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:14 PM

No, I play 3-6 and my raises never get any respect, it's awesome. One of my favorite plays is the setup you described... it's folded around (amazingly), and I'm the SB with AA, and I know the BB is either a loose maniac or calling station, so I raise and he calls. Bet the flop, call, then I check the turn and he bets it about 99.999999% of the time, then I raise and he calls it all. The SCREW play never fails.