Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Rebuy Disadvantage?

I'm going to AC tomorrow, and was looking to play a NLHE tourney, preferrably one without rebuys. As I look at the schedules it appears that most are rebuys, and have an add-on at the end of the 3rd round. Last time I was there I did play in the Trop's Saturday NL rebuy tourney, and finished 20th out of 162 and did not rebuy OR add on. However, I may have been extremely lucky to do so well without rebuying. Assuming my NL game is solid, my question is how much of a disadvantage do you think I am at by refusing to rebuy or add on? I just am not willing to risk several times the buy in to continue on in a tournament.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Disadvantage?

[ QUOTE ]
I just am not willing to risk several times the buy in to continue on in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Than the tournament is too expensive for you. You are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage by refusing to rebuy or add on. Most of these reby tournaments offer rebuys/add-ons at a slightly cheaper $/chip ratio than the initial buy-in. In this case, you really must take every rebuy and add-on available if you are going to play. If the $/chip is the same, you are probably OK not taking them from an equity point of view (although you are certainly decreasing your chance of cashing). The better you are relative to the field, the more you give up by passing up rebuys, since chips are worth more in your hands than in other people's.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:10 PM

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I'm really a ring game player, but I like to take a shot at a tourney once in a while...Maybe I'll just stick to online tourneys until AC decides to start offering more non-rebuys (I won't be holding my breath waiting though...LOL).
Old 02-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Default rebuy value

I think you can play the rebuy tourneys for value without rebuying.
However, you must at least be prepared to add-on if you are doing very well (in the top half/third or better at the break), and have a good run at the money.
Otherwise, you maybe giving up the current value of your chip position.

If you are one of the leaders by a large margin the add-on may not be necessary or cost effective.

There has been much discussion here about re-buys. But much of it does not apply to the "value" rebuy approach.

For example:
In a recent rebuy, players wondered why I did not rebuy with 15 minutes to go to the add-on break. Quite simply, since we were well into the tournament, and the leaders had 20x or 30x the number of chips I could rebuy-in for, well... what's the point of starting a tournament that far behind!

Sure, I could do a double rebuy and add-on........... so what! For that investment I'd still be in the bottom half, so why bother.

I play a few rebuys for value, but like you I prefer non-rebuy events (a much purer form of the game). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 06:15 PM

I played in a rebuy/add on tourney over the weekend and I can't estimate the advantage it gave me over the people that didn't add-on before...they would rebuy and still be in a hole, didn't make any sense to me why they'd keep rebuying but I have to thank them for building the prize pool...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: rebuy value

[ QUOTE ]
In a recent rebuy, players wondered why I did not rebuy with 15 minutes to go to the add-on break. Quite simply, since we were well into the tournament, and the leaders had 20x or 30x the number of chips I could rebuy-in for, well... what's the point of starting a tournament that far behind!

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless the rebuy period was two days long, I can't see how the chip leaders have doubled up lets see,

Six times in and hour!!

If they have, then they are bound to go bust at some point anyway. Read TPFAP where David talks about why the chip leader on day one of the WSOP never wins.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: rebuy value

Well, the 5 day, 10,000 chip, 2 hour-level WSOP main event is one thing. A 4-5 hour tournament is something else; someone who actually manages to accumulate 20-30x their starting chips in the first hour probably is a favorite to at least cash, no matter how insane he is...