Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Do you fold at river with the straight or call 2 bets cold?

First hand during the session and I don't have any reads on the other players.

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)

Hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is BB

MP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button folds, SB limps, Hero checks

Flop(4 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, HERO checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks

Turn(2 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, SB folds, HERO calls.

River(5 BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HERO checks, MP1 bets, MP2 raises.

Now what???? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. It's up to me facing 2 bets cold. Call or fold?. Would you play it differently if the pot was bigger/smaller.

Results later.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Do you fold at river with the straight or call 2 bets cold?

Seems like an easy fold, you could be up against a flush or even a boat. Seems like MP2 was just waiting to pop it but wanted the overcall on the turn so he waited till the river.

Of course im typing "Easy Fold" but if i was in your position i would have to call down and see it in the heat of the moment. Guess i know why i have been losing lately, ha. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Please let me know how the hand turned out.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:27 PM

I think you gotta start before the river on this hand.

PF: A raise might be good here b/c you have a couple of limpers but checking is a fine option too.

Flop: I'm betting out here to try and pick up the pot right here.

Turn: you hit your strait. Bet out here, I wouldnt risk giving a free card to someone who slowplayed an ace.

River: Well, you almost gotta call b/c you have a strait and you have no clue where you are.

By playing more aggressively on the earilier streets, you can gain valuable information about the later ones
Old 02-23-2004, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: I'm betting out here to try and pick up the pot right here.

Turn: you hit your strait. Bet out here, I wouldnt risk giving a free card to someone who slowplayed an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to semibluff out of position with a gutshot on the flop. Not against 3 opponents with a paired flop and a possible 4-flush. Not at Party anyway. You will get called 9 times out of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. If this was heads up on the flop, no problem. I would fire away.

I agree with you about the turn though. I played it weak/tight there. Since a possible flush turned I just wanted to check and call it down from there.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 PM

I think the flop is a check-fold since the pot is not big, which may have been your intention.

I would have bet the turn when the Jack hit. I would fold the river with that pot.

I can't imagine what MP2 has. If he isn't on a bluff he lost a bet somewhere else.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:18 PM

I would bet this flop too, a Q or K will also be good enough to win if he holds a Ten.
Dont give a free card, this might cause you to loose to a backdoor flush or give someone a pair he can call down with.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:35 PM

I do not bet the flop. True, you might pick up the pot there on occaision but only if there are no aces AND no flush draws present.

Definitely bet the turn, for all the good reasons discussed.

Fold the river. At BEST, this is a 5:1 call, and I don't think you're good 20% of the time. Also, MP1 and MP2 could trap you in a raising war, if one has the flush while another has a boat (which is certainly possible).
Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 PM

I think you made your mistake on the turn. Someone with a Jack, or a ten, might think that you are now betting second pair. I would bet the turn, threebet if I got raised. If you get fourbet, then I would call, and call 1 bet on the river.

The way you played it, someone with an bad Ace, or even KJ might think their hand is good. I think you have to call here on the river, because you have grossly underrepresented your hand, and despite the scary board, their are a lot of hands that your opponents might have that they mistakenly think are good, that you can beat.

If it goes two more bets on the river, lay it down then.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:42 AM

Here's the result. I folded at river.

MP1 called the raise and had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for trips
MP2 had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for trips

They both slowplayed the flop and ended up splitting the pot. I folded the winner.

Thanks for the replies.