Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Hand to Talk About

Hi Everyone:

I played poker earlier this evening for the first time this month. The game was $80-$160 at The Bellagio.

Even though it was a full table, everyone passed to me and I raised on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Both blinds called.

The flop was Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6:[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me the nut flush draw and a gutshot straiht draw. Everyone checked.

The turn was the 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The small blind checked, the big blind bet, I raised, the small blind folded, and the player in the big blind called.

The river was the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me the nut flush. My opponent checked, I bet, and he folded.

All comments welcome.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-22-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Seems to me you're playing it like you don't have a diamond, and have a vulnerable hand (big pocket pair, top pair) you want to protect but only when the turn card isn't a diamond.

Too bad you didn't get paid off.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:13 AM

if you bet the flop and neither of them had a pair or a diamond you might of won it then

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 AM

Hi Mason,

I guess I don't see any reason not to bet out on the flop and see if you can pick up the pot there. If you encounter resistance in the form of a checkraise, at least you know where you stand.

Garland
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 PM

Mason, I prefer the bet on the flop here. As the preflop raiser you're supposed to like a flop like this. Bet the flop and see what happens. At this point with 9 nut outs, 3 more likely nut outs (the gut shot) and an ace overcard I like your chances. If you get played back at here you can certainly take it to three bets.

If you bet the flop and they come along, you can most likely take your free card on the turn if you choose, or keep pounding away. The only situation where I wouldn't bet this flop is against habitual "stop and go" players who might check call the flop, then bet into you anyways on the turn.

Routine semi bluff on the turn. Would you have fired again on the river if you missed here?

Leon
Old 02-22-2004, 12:32 PM

I'm new to the game (I've been playing about 2 months) and more than a little nervous responding to the guru's play. But where is there a better place to learn?

I liked the raise on the Button. I would have raised with as little as Q8.

With the three-diamond flop (not to mention the belly-buster) and the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in my hand, I would have bet. After all, if my opponents had bet I might have raised with the intention of getting a free card on the turn. So if it is correct to make it two bets as it is in so many cases, why not push one bet out there?

Also, if you did bet the flop and raised the turn, wouldn't you be able to bluff on the river if a blank hits? I'm assuming the 80/160 game at the Bellagio has reasonable players (I've never played this high nor been to Las Vegas.)

I would have raised before the flop, bet the flop, called the turn (though I like the raise), and of course bet aggressively on the river.

I'm still trying to put a "straight forward" game together so these types of plays are somewhat beyond me. Still, it's a great opportunity to think about the game. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:12 PM

Hi Mason,

I am not sure why you waited until the turn to bet and then put in 320 with only one card to come. If you simply bet the flop not only might you win it there, but if you don't win it there, a smaller diamond (and top pair) will certainly call, so if you make your hand, you will still win a nice pot. Even if check/raised on the flop, you are only putting in 160 and then you can simply call the turn for another 160 (320) so the money is the same. Please elaborate on your thoughts during the hand.

Also, what did you put the bb on? A steal attempt or a semibluff?

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 01:19 PM

umm...what do you need to bet the flop?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the underlying reason that you check: you were watching stock quotes more closely than the game since you have too much money to know what to do with....lol...

but my guess is that you did not want the hand to "get outta control" on the flop..i.e. you were in a classic steal position; and anyone with a pair or draw could made it reall difficult for you...

but by waiting til turn...opponents now put you on made hand or top pair..you set yourself up for steal...opponent probably had middle pair or some kinda str8 draw...gl [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 01:34 PM

I feel like my answer is too simple, but a bet on the flop often wins the pot right there and then.