Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Difference between 5 max and 6 max ?

I have 2 questions really?

First, is there a significant difference in starting hands between 5 and 6 max? There was good post on starting hand requirements about a week ago, but I think this referred to 6 max.

Second, for those playing the 1-2 5 Max at Paradise, how do the games compare to the 1-2 6 Max at Party?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Difference between 5 max and 6 max ?

i have played a heap of 5 max at paradise including the 1/2 - havent played much in the party 1/2 6 max school but a lot in the other limits at party

i think the starting hand requirements are significantly different - perhaps highlighted by an old thread here titled "QJo" - i often raise QJo UTG in the paradise game - almost madness to do so UTG in a party 6 max game

i think the party game is likely a lot softer once you make the neccesary adjustment

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 PM

the game always changes with a different amount of opponents. i have seen strong heads up players give fish a bad name in 3+ handed. 2-4 handed varies a lot more than 5-6. the most important part is the type of players. in most cases i would raise qjo utg 6 max.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:32 AM

Thanks stripsqueez. I did recall that thread but couldn't find it. Here it is.

QJo link

I play quite a bit at the Party 1-2 6 MAX so I know how soft they are, especially after using a lot of the advice on being tight agressive from this forum. (after reading Ulysses post from the 5-10 MAX tables the other day though, I am wondering which is softer...that was unbelieveable).

Was wondering how the 1-2 5 MAX at Paradise compares.

Wanted to cash out from Empire (don't see much point in having accounts at Party and Empire, they gave me that free $15 bonus and I rolled it into $400) so I was gonna go back to Paradise cause I'm a sucker for NL multis, which they now have, and the ones at Empire are virtually non-existent.

There was another good thread on starting hand requirements that David Ross started, but this was for 6 Max:

Back to Basics link

He was referencing 6 MAX (UTG is 3 off the button) and was only asking about play UTG, on the button and from the SB.

How much of an adjustment would you make going from 6 MAX to 5 MAX?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of an adjustment would you make going from 6 MAX to 5 MAX?

[/ QUOTE ]

they do feel like very different games to me but that might be more about me than the games - 6 max almost doesnt feel like shorthanded to me but thats probably because i havent played a lot of 10 man games

in the party 6 max games i think i'm a rock pre-flop - hard to be otherwise when you get such fantastic value for your good hands and play multiple tables - in the paradise 5 max i feel a much bigger need to give action and i do

its a big call but i think the paradise 1/2 is often better than the party 5/10 although as i say they are different games due to 5 and 6 max and the comparison is less valid for that reason - definately go and play the paradise game - it was a fine education for me and you can definately beat it

from memory i saw around 37% of the flops playing 5/10 and 10/20 5 max at paradise compared to 27% playing 10/20 at party

in terms of specific adjustments i dont propose to waa on about it but UTG i would be rasing QJo most of the time as stated as well as K10o A9o - and i would pay the paradise guys a bit more respect generally - i think the party games are generally passive and that is a radical view around here - that probably means that you should get ready for some extra aggression in the paradise 5 max games

the 3/6, 5/10, and 10/20 5 max games are all beatable at paradise and if you work your way through those limits i think you can really damage the party 6 max games

Old 02-21-2004, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in most cases i would raise qjo utg 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool - i have lots of interesting shania issues playing like a rock in these schools - do you have pokertracker ? - how does it go ?

in more readily understandable terms - i often wonder how a much looser style than mine would go at the party 6 max tables

Old 02-21-2004, 02:27 AM

Thanks again stripsqueeez. Good stuff.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:40 AM

i once touched shania on her face.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:27 AM

Surely you actually mean raise QJo in <font color="red">5-MAX</font>?
Old 02-21-2004, 06:09 AM

actually i actually mean 5 max or 6 max, cause im looser than a mexican hooker.