Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 04:56 AM

Default Milking with AA?

I picked up rare pocket rockets at BB early in a tournament, only one caller (MP) and SB folding. Blinds are low and my stack is around T2500 (average just above T1000). At this moment I feel just picking up the SB and one additional bet is not satisfying enough having AA, so I decided to raise 3-4xBB instead of moving all-in. My opponent calls and the flop comes K55 rainbow and I bet out 2x pot size. Now, this guy raises all-in, causing me to think for 10 seconds or so. What hands could possibly have me beat? I didn't put him on KK, as he probably would have raised pre-flop, and I didn't believe he flopped quads, though suited connectors with a 5 is a reasonable call pre-flop. I called his all-in as I put him on Kxs, KQo or KJo, making me a big favourite. He turned over K8s and rivered a K for the full house...

So, now to my question... I know the book authors rant about always moving all-in with AA and KK, but do you actually follow this concept or do you sometimes try to get one or two players in to win more money? In this case, I would have won the pot pre-flop, but my opponent claimed that I gave him odds to call, obviously hoping for a flush draw. His all-in on the flop clearly reveals he didn't put me on AA.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Milking with AA?

You did exactly what I would have done.

If you get AA with one caller it's only prudent to try to milk it for as many bets as you can. Why waste a monster hand like AA and just pick up the sb and mp's bet?

Heads up AA is an overwhelming favorite. I'd love to get the guy all in and having only two outs like you did. You just got unlucky on the river there.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:00 AM

First of all, the books do not say anything about always moving all in with AA. This would be riduculous advice. There are situations where all three main options are reasonable, namely raising a standard amount, raising all in, and limping.

In this situation, you did exactly the right thing, you got the call you wanted and you got the all in you wanted.

You did nothing wrong and I suspect you knew this already. Bad beats happens. Nothing you can do.

Peace

Goodie
Old 02-13-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the book authors rant about always moving all-in with AA and KK, but do you actually follow this concept or do you sometimes try to get one or two players in to win more money?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read no book that recommends always going all-in preflop with AA. I think you are misunderstanding what they are tyring to say. The goal is to try to get all-in preflop with AA, bringing another person along. As such, you play in a way that tries to get somebody to play into/back at you. Sometimes that is a limp/ re-raise, sometimes that is a standard raise, sometimes it's an all-in raise.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Default You should\'ve folded preflop n/m

Old 02-13-2004, 12:18 PM

Default LOL Greg Good one

Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 PM

Old 08-18-2004, 11:16 PM

you played it perfectly.. he caught a 2 outer.. [censored] happens. Although I'm not sure which book says to slap AA and KK all in preflop.. by doing that with small blinds and a large stack ur basically turning 1st/2nd best starting hand in the game into into 72o. With high blinds it's a different story, but in your case I think you played it fine. As for "milking" them, when the flop comes K55, unless he's holding KK, 55 or a set, he's either got 2 outs or drawing nearly dead if he's got no pair. I think a smaller bet or even a check to induce a bet is better here. However, the way you played it was fine - just got unlucky.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 PM

no problem at all, you played fine. on that flop my chips beat his into the pot. You got rivered by a big dog, and its going to happen again trust me, its happened to me about 8 times today [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

that is all
R-