Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Keeping the game going

I used to run games in chicago, and have quit some time ago. The problem was player base. If you run a game, you generally know that sometimes people are hard to get a hold of, and also, unreliable. I ended up finding myself with about 4-5 guys who wanted to play, but not shorthanded. So i tried a couple gimmicks, which didnt really pan out as well as i hoped. It worked, for like 2 weeks. ANyway, I was thinking on starting up again, but i didnt want to waste time setting up and planning if everyone said they'd come and wouldnt show (not EVERYone, but enough). I guess I'm asking, what keeps 'em coming? Maybe i need a bigger player base? Gimmicks? What do you guys do to keep the game alive, and regular?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Keeping the game going

I don't believe there's really anything you can do to ensure that people will show up. All you can do is:

-provide a friendly, comfortable and fair environment.
-go to some effort to ensure that if people are going to show up, there will be enough for a game. (I'd stop showing up if I was told there would be X players and only X-4 actually showed.)

I don't think gimmicks (goofy promotions) will get a regular following. You may get an extra 2 or 3 here and there, but won't build a solid dependable base.

I just joined in a new home game where the host built a 50+ player list in 2 months by using this forum and the internet. They started with a base of 2 (Plus two of his kids as alternate/seat fillers) and it had grown to have people on waiting lists in 4 events! Send a PM to yocalif or check out Poker Pals to see what he's done. He's put a lot of work into it, and it has paid off handsomely.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:52 PM

Default 4-5 is shorthanded?

then expand your game list. you can dump the undependable ones for people who actually come regularly.

Just for curiosity's sake, what were your "gimmicks" ?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 AM

My attendence to invitation ratio is going up but still averages in the 30% range. I have a few core players that come to almost every bimonthly game and others that only come occasionally.

you should get a bigger list. I always have to deal with some last-minute cancellations- that's life- and if you can get more attendence due to a bigger list the game will sustain itself better i think. Then again I have only been doing this for a half-year so far.

what things did you try to do that were different to get your players to come out?

if you decide to do this i suggest posting your game on homepokergames.com in the Illinois section. My game listing and follow up has gotten me a lot of new and nice players.

hope that helps
LL
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Well, the only real gimmick other than free food and drinks was a single table tourney before the regular ring game. The winner would get either 75% (25% 2nd) or all the prize pool, and players for the ring game wouldn't have to pay a tourney buy-in. Also, the winner of the tournament would get 1/2 off their tournament fee the following week, and have a bounty on his head. I thought it was a brilliant idea, just didn't work.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:32 PM

Start a bad beat jackpot, when it gets to a certain amount start a backup jackpot. Almost everyone will agree to let a set amount come out of each pot to fund it. When the jckpot is won then you have the backup already there. Players will hate to miss when they know the jackpot might be hit. It does work!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:44 PM

Did your rake cover just the costs of the refreshments and the tournament writeoffs, or were you making extra income from it as well? That might have been part of your problem?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Default I thought that might be you...

I'd LOVE to come play in your game, man. however, I STILL haven't found a job. when I do, I am there. I really enjoyed your game...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: I thought that might be you...

Ha, I'll let you know if i start up again, otherwise there's a game in the suburbs... I dunno if youre on the list

Eric
Old 02-12-2004, 12:41 AM

i did have a rake, but it $1. some nights were better than others with the rake, but if it was short handed 4-5, i wouldnt pull. I think $1 was fair though.