Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 AM

Default REPOSTING A SKLANSKY POST...........

I experienced a situation today that was almost identical to this, which reminded me of this excellent post a little over 2 years ago by David. Now that our site has grown just a bit..I would like to open the topic up again.

Here is the original post.
------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting Stud Situation
Posted by: David Sklansky (Dsklansky@aol.com)
Posted on: Friday, 3 August 2001, at 4:09 a.m.

15-30. Typical Vegas players. Six brings it in. You are next and call with 456 suited with five showing. King raises. Six calls. Six pairs doorcard. So do you. King catches offsuit deuce. Sixes bet thirty. Call, raise, or fold?
------------------------------------------------------------

David also posted a correction to this mentioning that the original bring-in had folded and the 6 just limped.

For anyone interested in reading the original responses. Here is a link to the archives.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/ot...ug01_main.html

MY position has changed somewhat since my post back then. (probably because I have lots more experience playing at the higher limits than I did back then ) but I am curious.

Perhaps David could jump in and give us some of his final thoughts.. ( which he didn't do at the time )

CJ

Old 02-10-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: REPOSTING A SKLANSKY POST...........

Well, it makes a huge different that the 6 is not the bring in. Given that, I'd call here. Otherwise, I'd probably raise.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: REPOSTING A SKLANSKY POST...........

i reread my post and was curious as to your thoughts. here it is:

The most likely hand for the 6's is twopair with a medium pair in the hole, since a six is out. This depends on whether he is a good player or not since a good player would reraise with an A or K kicker or a straightflush kicker. Since he didnt raise he likely has a draw like you or a medium pair. I think you have enough with a pair and a three straightflush to at least call. The question is whether a raise is needed to fold the K's. Mostly player who have just K's will fold here against two players who paired doorcards, so a raise is not needed to fold him.

Also a lot depends on the player who has the 6. Since the sixes know that you called a raise from a K up, which may be a pair of K's, then he must be aware that you could have trips already. But, if he is a really good player he might know that you would likely reraise with a pair of fives and a high kicker or a straightflush kicker in order to get it heads up, and since you didnt raise he might think that you do NOT have trips. Similarly, you might be able to get a read on his hand if he is a good player since he didnt raise either. He could also have a draw with a pair.

If he is a good player I would call for one more card and see what happens and would be prepared to go to the river if I improved on fifth. Against a weak player I would consider raising if he may think i have trips and if he might lay down two pair. If such a player reraises then he might have trips himself and I would call and see what I catch on fifth street.

Interesting hand, was this a hand you played?

God that seems like an awfully long time ago...

Pat
Old 03-01-2004, 05:57 AM

Default ANYONE...?????????????????

Any more takers here... Did no one see this??

This really would make for an excellent discussion.

CJ