Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Curious about pro players?

I obviosuly don't need firm numbers, but when I read about people making the move to being a "pro" player, what kind of income figures are we talking about?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Curious about pro players?

[ QUOTE ]
I obviosuly don't need firm numbers, but when I read about people making the move to being a "pro" player, what kind of income figures are we talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

More than zero.

Seriously, though, I guess the definition varies from person to person, but I don't think it's an income thing.

I'm sure there are many players (here on 2+2 and elsewhere) who win significant sums of money in a given year and don't consider themselves "professionals," since they have other jobs.

(I, on the other hand, make insignificant sums of money in a given year playing poker, and make slightly more significant sums of money working at my real job.)

So I guess one definition could be someone who:

A) planned on deriving most of their income for a given time period playing poker; and
B) made most of their income for a given time period playing poker

I included part A because Chris Moneymaker, for example, surely made most of his income in 2003 from poker. Yet I doubt he or anyone else would consider him a professional poker player.

It's not really fair to look at the results of a given year and say "so and so was a pro, etc." because in any time period there will be winners and losers. We don't look at lottery winners and in retrospect declare them professional lottery players, do we?

Then again, maybe we're all suckers for playing poker instead of the lottery. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: party= CASH register

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Im looking to make about 100K min this year, playing about 50hrs/week, and Im not even a very good player.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Im looking to make about 100K min this year, playing about 50hrs/week, and Im not even a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty impressive for "not even a very good player". I guess that's all relative. I'm just curious as a new player... would you mind stating what your BB (Big Bet) per 100 hands stat is?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:23 PM

thats a lil less than $40/hr or 2 bbs/hr w/2 5/10 tables. Definatly doable w/some studying as long as you put in the hrs
Old 02-09-2004, 04:26 PM

Blanton,

Many 2+2er's possess the talent and knowledge to make over $100,000/year playing poker online. However, I'm not sure what % could do this if poker were their only source of income. Playing professionally is an emotional grind that many people simply can't handle. I don't care what anyone says, it's much, much easier to play when next month's rent does not depend on your performance at the table.

Also, it is substantially more difficult to move up in limits when you are paying bills off of your bankroll. As such, if a player starts at low limits, she will have a difficult time moving up to the limits necessary for a $100k+ income.

Lastly, if you're thinking about turning "pro", realize that it isn't as easy as it's made out to be, predominantly because several of the "pros" touting the game's simplicity are nothing of the sort, but just love the way the title "professional poker player" sounds.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty impressive for "not even a very good player". I guess that's all relative. I'm just curious as a new player... would you mind stating what your BB (Big Bet) per 100 hands stat is?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its 40/hr.
I can get this playing 3 NL tables.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blanton,

Many 2+2er's possess the talent and knowledge to make over $100,000/year playing poker online. However, I'm not sure what % could do this if poker were their only source of income. Playing professionally is an emotional grind that many people simply can't handle. I don't care what anyone says, it's much, much easier to play when next month's rent does not depend on your performance at the table.

Also, it is substantially more difficult to move up in limits when you are paying bills off of your bankroll. As such, if a player starts at low limits, she will have a difficult time moving up to the limits necessary for a $100k+ income.

Lastly, if you're thinking about turning "pro", realize that it isn't as easy as it's made out to be, predominantly because several of the "pros" touting the game's simplicity are nothing of the sort, but just love the way the title "professional poker player" sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so true. I live with my parents (just graduated HS), and I pay them 1/4 of all their bills, so I ahve the safety net of not having to worry about a bad streak of cards.

Playing 50hrs/week can get very very tiring. Some days you just dont want to play and have to really force yourself to play, and play well. After a while this discipline can be attained.

I also realize that this is temporary, and cant be relied onlong term. Which brings us to this question: Am I gonna be able to work a job that pays me half of what Im making now and isnt as fun or convenient?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many 2+2er's possess the talent and knowledge to make over $100,000/year playing poker online.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they don't. I like the few here that are a bit humble and don't feel like posting their ridiculously inflated win rates and extrapolating. It just ain't true. I'd be willing to bet 98% of people on this site that they couldn't make 100K in 2600 hours which is 50hrs/wk for 52 weeks a year.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM

No they don't. I like the few here that are a bit humble and don't feel like posting their ridiculously inflated win rates and extrapolating. It just ain't true. I'd be willing to bet 98% of people on this site that they couldn't make 100K in 2600 hours which is 50hrs/wk for 52 weeks a year.

I agree. Most players here are not good enough to make $40/hr playing part time, let alone 50 hours/week for an entire year.

-- Homer