Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Texas Holdem Software

I am looking for software to practice Texas Hold'em. Can anybody recommend any?

Thanks in Advance
Jesse H
Old 02-06-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Texas Holdem Software

Well, Wilson's Turbo Texas Hold'Em is the classic. But after having bought it, I don't recommend it. I think you're better off playing play money on Party or some other site. Then, when you're feeling up to it (and after reading a book like Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold Em), play microlimits at some site... Some even have .01-.02, or at least .25-.50... You won't lose much there, and the play will be much more realistic. I started doing that sort of thing shortly after buying Wilson's, and never went back. No reason to. So I don't recommend it. But some use it, I suppose...
Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 AM

I,on the other hand, cannot recommend TTH highly enough. You willlearn advanced and bsaic play quicker this way than any other way. Make sure you use one of the Advisers appropriate for the ring size you play, and spend time lookign at the odds and commentary. After a few dozen hours you should be able to beat the average low-mid level game.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:41 AM

Another option is Poki's Poker Academy, which you can get here: Poki Site.

Both TTH and Poki have trial versions you can download.

I have TTH and I think it is useful for a beginner. You can find discussions about both of these programs by doing a search. Always a good first option when you have a question. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good Luck.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the response. Do you mean Turbo Poker by Wilson Software?

Thanks Again
Old 02-07-2004, 11:42 AM

TTH (Wilson) is GREAT for a person starting out and it'll make you a winner up to 5/10 games. New version coming up mid-summer.

95% of the time the advice is good and the other 5% it has you doing odd things. AS soon as you see it doing things that are obvious flaws you will know that you have advanced past beginner.

I recommend it and have 3 versions and will buy 6.0 when it comes out.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:27 PM

I have Wilson's TTH (holdem), Omaha Hi-Low, and Stud 8. I think all are excellent for practice mainly because you can play so many hands by using the zip feature. I'm not very experienced in Omaha HL or Stud 8, but the advice you get in those games doesn't seem to be as accurate as the advice you get in holdem. One thing the software showed me is I really don't want to play anything but holdem.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for software to practice Texas Hold'em. Can anybody recommend any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I started playing money games online I read a lot and then played the free demo version of something called MS Holdem until I had all the money, all the time.

I imagine TT is much better, but I found this one to be simpler and less annoying, interface wise, which is a big deal for me.

/mc
Old 02-07-2004, 04:42 PM

Wilsons Turbo exas Hold em is a great tool especially if you are a beginner. As mentioned before the 'zip' feature is great but dont use it all the time. The best thing turbo did for me was being able to control just about everything. From the profiles you play against to the time it takes the players to make thier decisions (which helped me greatly to get used to determining the nuts on the flop, the next best hands and how the turn and river compared to the flop). I also like the challange mike feature. If you do purchase TTH dont bother with the sidewinder Sid feature.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Where can you buy this Wilsons TT program? Thanks