Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Mid-High Stakes Preflop Questionaire!

There's been a fair amount of posting lately regarding preflop play. I thought it would be a good idea to create a questionaire with a series of scenarios regarding preflop situations. Feel free to take part in this and compare your answers to those of posters whos opinions you most highly regard. No need for explanations to answers, just simple A/B/C answers will suffice. Assume the game to be around the 20-40 level with 10 players seated and a 4-bet cap(unless otherwise stated). Ok, here we go!

1. Average game. Utg opens for a raise. He's a good player with reasonable EP open raising standards: AA-99,AK,AQ,AJ,KQ. It gets folded to you in MP and you find yourself holding TT. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

2. Same question as above only this time you hold the AQs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

3. Loose/passive game. Two weak players limp in from EP. Folded to you in the CO holding 97s. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

4. Same question as above only this time you hold QTo. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

5. Tight game with one loose cannon. It seems players on LC's left are striving to isolate him whenever they get the chance. Loose cannon open raises in EP. Next player, a tightish smart opponent, 3-bets. Folded around to you in LP holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

6. Average game. Tight player raises in EP and gets one coldcall in MP. Folded to you on the Button holding KQs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

7. Very loose uber aggressive game with a couple drunks. Most pots contended 4-6 ways for 3 bets, capped 50% of the time. You hold KJs utg. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) raise

8. Same game as above. A raise and reraise by two wild EP players and two MP callers. You find yourself in the CO holding 99. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

9. Average game. Tight player raises utg(large pair,big ace). Folded around to you in the BB. You hold AJs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

10. Same question as above only this time you hold 88. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

11. Loose game with moderate aggression. Two poor players on your immediate right have been battling it out all night, raising each other at every opportunity. It gets folded to the first of the two PP's in the CO and he raises. The other PP on the Button 3-bets. You're in the SB holding ATs. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

12. Same question as above only this time you hold 66. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise/cap

13. Tight/tough game. You're desperately waiting to get a seat in another but are grinding it out here for now. Tight old man(TOM) open raises in EP. The player next to him, who surely knows how tight the TOM is, makes it 3 bets. Folded around to you in LP holding AKs. Your move? Sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

14. Reasonably good game. Folded around to the Button who makes the almost manditory steal-raise. You're in the SB holding 54s and can see that the BB is waiting to fold. Your move?

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

15. Juicy loose/aggressive game. Wild EP player open raises and gets two coldcallers and a reraise in MP. As one of the LP players tosses in his cards, a Queen is exposed face up for all to see. You are on the Button holding QQ. Your move? sidenote: you're playing at Bellagio where there is a 5-bet cap.

A) call
B) fold
C) reraise

Well, I hope you enjoyed filling out the questionaire. I'm sure there will be some discussion on a few of the trickier hands but I think most are pretty straightforward. Thanks for your time.

Pipedream
Old 02-06-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Mid-High Stakes Preflop Questionaire!

1. c
2. a
3. a or b, "weak" is kind of vague. . .
4. see 3
5. b
6. b
7. b
8. b
9. a or b, depending on whether or not he is good too. . .
10. see 9
11. "poor" is too vague for circumstance, see elysium's recent posts. . .
12. see 11, but probably b
13. b, although this may be one of the few times. . .
14. b
15. I would probably call or fold, I don't know really. . .
Old 02-06-2004, 06:50 PM

I'm sure you've been playing long enough to determine what weak/poor players play like. Or did you want me to write you a description of every player in the game?

Pipedream
Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 PM

"Or did you want me to write you a description of every player in the game?"

That's the problem with these kinds of preflop questions. There is some sense in elysiums latest blurful. . . .
Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

that and the fact that the thread is unreadable unless the author culls the results.

i would have answered 3 questions.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:27 PM

Wow, thats one hell of a questionaire. I only got through the first six questions. The situations you listed are so very close I'm sure an aurgument can be made for calling raising, and folding. However in the TT hand agaist the tough early raiser I would reraise probably 80% of my opponents, and fold agaist the other 20%.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:32 PM

hi pipe
most of the questions are pretty cut and dry except for 13 and the last question.

question 13 is a call. in spite of what it looks like is out against this hand, often enough to make this an easy call, you will find surprisingly that you have an equal or better starting hand. add to this the possibility of improving on the flop, and the odds justify the call although it doesn't seem so. there are a few situations like this in hold em in which it's always better to grit your teeth and call or raise.

on the flop, if you flop two of your suit, a raise or reraise should get you to the river for one bet. that's very good. and there are other possibilities. do not give this hand up.

the last question is tough. i think you should call though. this hand is usually drawing thinly in this situation anyway, and its strength is based on not being over-carded rather than improving. the idea is you just don't want it to weaken.

if somehow an A or K was flashed in the deck, and you knew somehow that it would flop, muck every time.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:38 PM

I just looked over it and I think it's pretty well laid out. Why do you find it 'unreadable'?

Pipedream
Old 02-06-2004, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the last question is tough. i think you should call though. this hand is usually drawing thinly in this situation anyway, and its strength is based on not being over-carded rather than improving. the idea is you just don't want it to weaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't raising better if there's a chance that you can cut down the field that way? It seems that, if you're going to play it, you'd need to do what you can to allow the hand to win unimproved.

Man, you'd get a fu*kload of action if you hit your one-outer, though.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the ANSWERS. it makes the thread unreadable, not the original post.

1:a
2:c
3:b
4:d
5:e

that sort of thing