Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Top 2 and a tough turn decision

Live pot limit hold em game $1/$2 blinds. Folded to a good tricky player with a big stack 2 off the button and he comes in for the max, $7. CO calls and I look down at KQo on the button and decide to flat call and see a flop. I have about $200 in front of me. The blinds fold and we see the flop 3 handed.

The flop comes down K Q 8 rainbow. PFR bets the pot, $24, and the CO folds. I make it $65 straight, a raise of $41. He calls. I am a little uneasy about his call, because he isn't the type of player who calls much. He is usually raising or folding. Had he re-raised I probably would have moved in and hoped for the best. I feel he may be trapping me with a set or there is an off chance he has a straight draw.

The turn is an offsuit 9 making a straight possible. He now bets $80 into me. I have roughly $140 left. What's my move and why?
Old 02-06-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Top 2 and a tough turn decision

I would not give him credit for JT. Unless he is so tricky that JTs is a hand he will raise the pot with preflop, then bet very strong on the flop.

If you can't be confident in your hand on this flop, then you have no business calling in the first place. If he will play this aggressively with a wide range of hands, then your play up to this point is fine. Go all-in and you're probably ahead.

If he's the type of player that is only this aggressive in this spot with KK or QQ (but not AA), then you should never have called pre-flop. What exactly were you hoping to flop that would have made you feel good?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 PM

You need to be about 35% certain your hand is good here to continue. I can't see calling being any good, so the choice is between folding and raising.

On the side of raising is:
1) You described the player as "tricky"
2) If he was trapping you, why wouldn't he continue trapping? That is, if he checked, couldn't he pretty much count on your betting? So why would he bet?

On the side of folding:
1) You're suspicious of his call on the flop.

If he has you beat, he has played his hand very creatively and deserves credit, but I think you've got to be good enough of the time to make it a go.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:55 PM

I think that this player would almost always go for a check raise in this situation with the straight especially since there is no flush draw. His most likely hands are AA AK and KQ. For some reason in this game most of the players are intimidated of this player, I think you let him intimidate you into folding a winning hand.
Also, if you raise the maximum on the flop you make it much harder for him to call with a straight draw. Why raise so little and let him correctly call?

"It's so easy It's Cheesy"