Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 AM

Default \"Big Slick\" in a Party $2/4 Game

Typical Party $2/4 table; fairly loose and passive. I am in late middle position with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

One MP limper to my immediate right, I raise, CO-1 to my immediate left re-raises, folded back to MP who calls the two additional bets and I call as well.

(10 1/2 SB in pot)

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, I check and CO-1 bets. MP folds and I call.

(6 1/4 BB in pot)

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

I check, CO-1 bets and I call.

(8 1/4 BB in pot)

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

I check, CO-1 bets and I call.

Any and all comments appreciated.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: \"Big Slick\" in a Party $2/4 Game

Fold after the flop.
You have nothing but Ace high. Bettor might have an ace with a smaller kicker than you, but is more likely to allready have a pair, and therefore reraising to scare people out preflop.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:47 PM

yeah agree, fold it after flop..
Old 02-05-2004, 01:07 PM

Pf: played fine
Flop: played fine, but I'd be a little concerned b/c once that queen hits, your not left w/many outs. I'd figure his 3 bet meant (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK). You also have to worry about the flush draw leaving you w/only 4 clean outs at most.

Turn: Once that Jack hits, I think its folding time. Any hand that has 3bet you pf w/the exceptino of AK has you drawing to 3 clean outs (Even though I'd be fairly confident all 4 of your outs are clean). Your only getting 7.25:1 on your gut shot, so I think its folding time.

River: Why call that bet? The only hand you can beat is AK?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:20 PM

What about betting on the flop since the pot is large? Would this fall under the theory "if it is worth a call, it is probably better to bet" ??? If you are re-raised, then I think it is safe to fold.

If your bet is called, I struggle as to what to do on the turn. I think the answer would be what you think of you opponent.

Comments appreciated....I struggle with overcards !!!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:35 PM

I generally like your analysis, although I am not sure a call on the flop was justified. I put my opponent on the same range of hands you did. My impulse, obviously, was that with my two overcards the pot seemed large enough to call a bet to see the turn. However, the problem with that is when you look at the likely hands that may have three-bet me pre-flop. Although I am getting almost 11:1 here, I am now dominated by AA, KK and QQ and hitting one of my cards may just cost me more money. I am basically hoping for AK or JJ.

On the turn, I am now dominated by JJ as well and am not getting proper odds to my gutshot (which would only win me a split pot if I am up against AK).

Why call the river?

My thought was having built this pot, correctly or not, I am now getting about 9:1 to call and I think those pot odds are greater than the odds of him having one of the hands that beat me (AA--JJ) against him having AK. The problem with this is that AK just gets me a split pot, not a win, so my pot odds are not even that good.

I am interested to see if anyone else has any thoughts but will post results shortly.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about betting on the flop since the pot is large? Would this fall under the theory "if it is worth a call, it is probably better to bet" ???

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I don't see how a bet will win the pot here so if I am going to continue I think checking and calling is better (although checking and folding might be the best play). If it had not been 3-bet behind me on the flop but instead I only had two callers then I would bet here. However, with the three-bet, I put the pre-flop raiser on AA-JJ or AK. I don't think I will fold any of those hands with a bet here and I think I will likely get raised by any of those hands as well. If I bet and just get called, have I really learned that much? I could still be up against a dominating hand that doesn't want to raise and let me get away easy but hopes that I bet the turn again to get in a raise there. I figured I was either behind and drawing or tied with AK (which probably would not fold to a bet). Thus, my check and call on the flop to see if I would improve on the turn. This, of course, does not explain my turn and river play.

[ QUOTE ]
I struggle with overcards !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I posted this hand.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Yeah I agree the flop call is iffy. The right play is prolly to just check fold there but it just feels wrong. I guess if your already at the river, calling that last bet isn't too bad considering the size of the pot. Overall I think the most improtant thing is to fold to the turn bet and save 2 BBs on this hand
Old 02-05-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RESULTS

My opponent showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and we split the pot.