Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 04:40 AM

Default anyone using a laptop for online play?

My desktop computer is old as the hills and before Party comes up with an update that is no longer supported by Windows 75, I'm looking into a replacement.

A laptop is attractive because I can take it anywhere and still play.

But... does anyone use a laptop solely for online play? Does it get tiring? What size screen should I look into (and just what is the difference between 15.4" and 15"?)?I'd hook a regular mouse to it and would hope to play three tables from the comfort of my bathtub.

Thanks,
serling
Old 02-02-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: anyone using a laptop for online play?

If you search laptop you will find lots of great threads on the subject.

As far as screen size goes you need to pay more attention to the resolution that your unit offers.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:04 AM

feel free to search under my name as i recently went through the same thing as you.
i think my thread 'new laptop' was sometime in early Jan perhaps. i got a lot of good advice....especially regarding screen resolution.
sometime around Jan 14 or so i posted a thread titled 'new laptop redux' in which i raved about the improved quality of play on my 1200x800res. 15" screen.

for the record, i got a dell-inspiron 5100 with added res and it cost around $1500. the guy at dell that i talked to on the phone was pretty helpful too....although it was pretty awkward explaining that it's primary purpose would be for internet-poker.

i had a lot of the same issues as you, except i had Windows 67, not 75....
by the way, i play from your bathtub all the time and it works just fine.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 AM

I play laptop AND desktop at times - does that count? Also in summer I play laptop in the yard as it's wireless.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:05 PM

I play exclusive on my laptop.

15' screen is fine for me. Some fo the smaller laptops have 14.x' screen.

One of the most important spec to look for in my opinion is screen resolution. I believe to need at least 1400x1050 to be able to play multiple tables. 1600X1200 is nice, but it is not available for all models and it can be quite a strain on your eyes.

I use the laptop w/o a mouse. I've become quite proficient at using the touchpad. Once you get use to it, it can do much more than a mouse.

Sam
Old 02-02-2004, 12:25 PM

My screen is small, but my laptop is for work and I wanted extreme portability for when I travel. Usually play in 1024X768, but I don't play 3 tables at a time like some.

If you have broadband at home, definitely go wireless! I have the Liksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and built-in wireless-g in my Dell laptop. You can carry the computer around the house, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, lay down in bed, whatever and keep playing. Great for tourneys.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:38 PM

I play on my laptop with 15" at 1024x768. Layered windows is not that big of a deal, to me. You can see about 75% of 2 tables, when you go to 3 you are looking at cascading them and letting the software switch the focus for you when you have actions. It's not a difficult adjustment IMHO.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:50 PM

Dell is the way to go with laptops these days. Before I bought my most recent laptop (December) I did quit a bit of research. I ended up going with the Dell 8600. 15.4 screen with resolution up to 1680x1050 (which is what I use). You can play multiple tables no problem and the wide screen is great for opening multiple programs. I can play in 3 games and watch a DVD at the same time.
And dont forget the RAM. 1 GB RAM makes playing on multiple sites and multiple games a smooth ride.

One thing to consider...their support is mostly based out of India now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 12:56 PM

I am anxiously awaiting mine...Fedex says it is still in China......

Anywho I sprang for a WUXGA 15.4" screen that will allow for four tables without overlap.

I got a HP zx5000 - they are having some good deals. I got a free Wi-Fi 802.11g router with it, free shipping, $100 rebate, and 10% off the laptop price. If you buy one do a search for coupon codes for whoever you buy it from - that's how I found the 10% off.

I sprang for some extras like bluetooth, a P4 3.06 ghz processor, and travel cables etc...all tolled after rebates something like $2300..

Pricey but, I figured my PC is getting dated and this kicks the crap out of it so I can use this as my main puter for the next year. Can never go wrong with top of the line.

Besides if it gives me a couple extra hours a week it easily pays for itself.

Good Luck Puter Hunting and don't forget to find those coupon codes.

Orange
Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing to consider...their support is mostly based out of India now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but I thought Dell scrapped its outsourcing to India after many complaints about being unable to understand tech support. How long before party scraps it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

cubs