Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Sucked out in low limit pots

This week has been a banner week in getting sucked out of pots by fish. It seems 7 out of 10 times I am delt a hand and flop a better one there are 3 to 4 other players calling me down with nothing. At least they had nothing, but then always seem to catch that backdoor inside straight or that runner runner flush. I am betting or raising the whole way. These fish are draining me. Yesterday I had A-K flopped top 2 pair and got slapped by a backdoor boat. I need to know if there is any way to try to lower this number of sucked out beats. I know the odds are on my side but this is crazy. Oh yeah, that backdoor boat... the guy had pocket 6s. Give me a break. I am greatful for your suggestions.

Rude comments not needed. Thank You.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Sucked out in low limit pots

Great table selection! Having that many bad players calling you down with long odds must be an exciting table to play at! Way to go!

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 PM

If the suckouts are draining you, that's one thing. If they're draining the bankroll, that likely means you're playing too high for your bankroll.

In any event, what Joe said is right. The games you're in sound like excellent games to be in. The variance is difficult to deal with, but ultimately you'll win more here than in other games.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 PM

Just smile and know that math is in your favor.

Trust me you don't want to be at a table full of tight people who never stay in too long and suck out on you.

If you don't believe me, jump in the 2+2 Micro forum game tonight if somebody hosts one (I hope they do) You'll see almost no sucking out. And almost no action on your good hands because people have sense enough to fold when they're beat.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:29 PM

I used to feel the way that you do too. And yes, the bad beats still hurt when the pot goes the other way when you are a big favorite.

But, now I feel like if I don't take bad beats at a table, then its not as good a game as one where I do every now and again. So stick with it and you will also have some very good runs and get paid off by them when they hold 3rd pair.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 PM

So stick with it and you will also have some very good runs and get paid off by them when they hold 3rd pair.

They need third pair to call? Find a new table [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 12:50 PM

Hi Deacsoft,

I know what it's like, and most likely, everyone here has had the same thing happen to them.

By the timing of your edit, I am guessing you are taking Joe's comments as rude. I may be wrong, but I don't think he meant to be. Sitting at a table where people will chase their two outs to the river IS a great table to sit at. Yet I agree that KNOWING that in the long run you will get the best of it doesn't always make the suckouts pleasant, especially when several seem to happen in a row. Somehow, we have to focus on the forest instead of the tree we just smacked into.

I am greatful for your suggestions.

If you truly want to reduce junk-hand suckouts then play higher limits, but know that the quality of play will be different. You didn't mention what limits you play, but at lower limits there probably is no way to keep that guy with 66 from calling anything till the river.

Instead of trying to reduce the suckouts, continue focusing on any leaks or weaknesses you might have in your game. I am learning so much by posting hands here and recommend you post some yourself. Focusing on improving the quality of your play can take your mind off of the bad beats.

Best wishes.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:28 PM

Know that if you move up in limits, you won't get sucked out on as much, but you won't get paid off nearly as much on your good/mediocre hands. From betting patterns at low/micro limits, sometimes I just KNOW I'm beat, but I get shown bottom pair and I get to take it down. Much fewer of these players at the higher limits.

[ QUOTE ]

I am greatful for your suggestions.

If you truly want to reduce junk-hand suckouts then play higher limits, but know that the quality of play will be different. You didn't mention what limits you play, but at lower limits there probably is no way to keep that guy with 66 from calling anything till the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2004, 01:38 PM

Ok I'll try to be as nice as possible. I am in the middle of a negative 50 BB run myself at 5/10.

One these things happen welcome to the wonderful world of poker. They will suck out on you from time to time. Sometimes alot and all in a row this is the SD that you've been told about, and why you need a sufficient bank roll.

Two, this can and does happen at ALL levels of play at least up to 80/160 which is as high as I have personally played. There are players with cash that don't play the way you want them to.

Three, this is a good thing. As Joe has already pointed out this situation is a long term gold mine. Better players long term make money off of these players and sometimes in the short term they win. Be happy for them because eventually they will lose it all back to you and then some.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:19 PM

If you are being rundown by people with truly dreadful odds who are making their runner-runner whatevers then keep betting and raising your best hands. You will suffer bad beats but these people are paying you off big time and you should be happy to have them in your game. If some of these beats are from people who had correct odds to chase their gutshots and whatnot in raised multiway pots then you may want to think about looking for appropriate opportunities to check-raise on the flop and/or turn.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Colgin