Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Playing K-x suited...

Hey all. First, thanks again to everyone who has provided advice in the past - to me specifically, or to others where I can benefit. This forum has helped my game significantly.

Question is not specific to a hand, but a general starting hand requirement. In particular, playing K-x suited. Super System and Cloutier/McEvoy's CHE don't recommend playing the hand at all. HEPFAP and WLLHE recommend playing it in late position at times - WLLHE actually considers Q-x a playable hand.

My personal rule is never to enter a pot with K-x suited unless I am in the blinds. If I don't flop a flush draw, I'm out a SB, and even if I pull out the flush I have to put on the brakes if there is any serious action and make a crying call at the end. I know the hand can win, but I figure it's best not to put myself in marginal situations.

Am I losing money (albeit a small amount) by not playing this hand? How does everyone else play it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Playing K-x suited...

I don't think you are giving up anything by not playing suited kings. I don't have any numbers to back this up or anything though. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't advise anyone to play this hand.

In a loose game I will occasionally play suited kings for one bet from a late position. I do have to have a good feel for the other players before I will do this.

You will find that this K-x suited makes alot of second best hands.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:51 PM

I only play Kxs from Button or blinds with a lot of limpers 5+

If the flop doesn't hit me in the face I usually muck.

Jim
Old 01-21-2004, 01:18 PM

Same here JD. I'll play it from the button with multi limpers in a passive game. But if I don't flop 2 pair or better, it's muck time.

I'll even play Qxs on the button if the conditions are good enough(rare).
Old 01-21-2004, 03:54 PM

sometimes i like a button limp, i will call in the SB most of the time, and call a raise in the BB if there is a LOT of money in the pot.

the thing about Kxs in the BB in a raised pot is that you have to hit it HARD...flush draw or two pair. otherwise its most likely no good.

the button limp is different though. Axs and Kxs are not playable hands because of flush potential. your odds of flopping a flush are 1 percent, and a flush draw 11 percent. Clearly this isn't good enough to play just because their suited.

therefore, you must determine if there is enough equity in the lone high card to play the hand. sometimes i believe there is, sometimes not.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM

Kxs is a hand to play only in the right situations, so it will be an uncommon hand to play. In the blinds, and on the button with limpers. The biggest danger is getting trapped when a K flops.

S & M discuss this very hand in the loose games section of HPFAP on page 163.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:14 PM

OK - thanks all for the thoughts.

I think for now I will stay away from playing this hand under normal circumstances.

Catch you all later.