Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 PM

Default 20-40 AQo

Kinda tough, full 20-40 game - every once in a while it gets all crazy. Predictable, weak player open raises UTG +1. The next three cold-call and I'm next with AQo and call. The pot was $320 going to the flop - J74. Checked to the pre-flop raiser who bets, next three call and I fold. The guy sweating me who used to be me friend pukes on my shoes, disbelieving my play on either street. "A clear fold pre-flop"... "Call the flop!"... "Two big thumbs down!" People [other than snoman] please clear this up for us while I wash out my loafers.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 20-40 AQo

I like it just fine. A lot of people will jump over you for the preflop cold call but I think its OK. The flop is a clear fold.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:19 PM

Overall, I believe that your friend is right.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:29 PM

15+ bets in the middle and hero gets to close the action on the flop with his two overcards. The preflop raiser is said to be predictable which means that he is unlikely to bet AK on this flop into a gaggle of opponents (btw, he would be correct in checking AK despite that making him predictable).

Also, if Hero hits a Queen, it's unlikely that the Queen would make anyone two pairs as someone with Queen jack would likely have raised on the flop and no one ought to be playing Queen seven or Queen 4.

If hero hits an Ace, he can expect to have the best hand but can always re-eveluate on the turn depending on the action as he will be last to act.

For all those reasons, he should IMO call the flop.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM

I should have been more clear - there was at least one caller behind me and maybe a blind or two for a total of 8 players preflop ($320). I was not closing the action on the flop.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:59 PM

I also think calling the flop wouldnt be half bad. Closing the action...lot of money out there. $20 to possibly win what about $600? I'll peel...and i'd call pre-flop...folding here is pretty insane i think, just because your hand doesnt play well multi-way who cares. Unless the "weak predictable guy" will only raise ak aa kk or qq here then call...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 PM

Yes you're getting 15:1 (or whatever) but the point is most weak predictable players wouldn't bet into you on the flop without hand that you only have 3 or less outs against. Yeah I realize thats right around the pot odds [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I dunno, maybe its closer than I thought. Meh I don't think it matters much either way.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:06 PM

Normally, AQo is a clear fold if there is an utg raiser and a cold caller. But now with four players in for two bets and the button and blinds still to act, I would have the tendency to jump in and see what happens with a large pot. Of course the real danger is someone behind you 3 betting and then the utg 4 betting. On the flop with so much in the pot, call for one bet.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 PM

overall, I think you can play this situation any way you want (fold or call preflop, fold or call flop) and your EV would not change much in the long run.

-Eugene
Old 01-20-2004, 11:31 PM

BK,

I see AQ in this situation, one that is not that bad of a decision either way. Remember, there are few situations you want to do all the time...to become easily readable.

I prefer to lay this one down most of the time because it can get you in trouble and put a negative impact on your game.

Bob