Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2004, 02:26 PM

Default TT in the BB - am I a psycho?

Oaks 15/30, full table. A guy who can play well but isn't playing well at the moment opens for a raise after three players fold. The (loose) small blind calls. I have black tens and make it three bets. Everyone calls.

The flop is 863 with two diamonds. SB bets, I raise, EP calls, SB makes it three bets, I cap it, EP folds reluctantly, SB calls.

To make a long story short, I turn a set, there is no flush on board on the river, we go four bets on the turn and two more on the river, and my set beats his two pair.

The EP player claims that he folded pocket jacks. Assuming the he was telling the truth, who thinks he is a wuss?

Assuming that I would have played 99 the same way on and before the flop, who thinks I'm too loose and aggressive on the early rounds?

What about the action I gave on the turn and river? I had top set, but there was a straight possible...
Old 01-19-2004, 04:25 AM

Default Re: TT in the BB - am I a psycho?

Hi DiamondDave,

Simply put: you overplayed the flop.

When you preflopped 3-bet it, SB puts you on a big pair. When you raised representing the big pair and SB 3-bets it knowing he/she has the best hand, you should know you're in trouble for now and just call down unless you see something that will help (turning a set is nice...you can probably put SB on 86 since even the most loose players would have a hard time playing 83 suited or not and start the raising war again if the 3 pairs or the river pairs the turn card).

EP should thank his lucky stars that he dropped out of the race since he ranks to be beaten anyway from SB and then by you on the turn.

Just my take on it. Hope it helps.

Garland
Old 01-19-2004, 04:32 AM

Forgot to mention, turn and river actions were fine. He's not 3-betting the flop with that position unless he has a made hand (or he's crazy).

You didn't mention if there were unlimited raises heads up, but on the turn, if he didn't keep raising with the nuts, you should definitely think you have the best hand.

If there is a bet and 3-raise limit, then I wouldn't go too far on the river (i.e. stop if SB three bets you). You got some nice action for your set though.

Garland
Old 01-19-2004, 05:03 AM

You were a bit aggressive on the flop, but I like it. Some times to gain +EV in future confrontations you must be willing to give up some -EV here and there. To be giving it away with an overpair cant be that bad. Keep staying aggressive and make all that EV back through bluffs and cheep showdowns whenyou behind.
On the turn Im no slowing down againts the rock of gabralter. raise,raise, and raise some more. Yet again another example of how if your not in the lead now if you opponents can percieve that, then gaining those bets back shouldnt be a thing web page
Old 01-19-2004, 05:28 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Wow with pocket Jacks and that flop in a 15/30 game I'm thinking $60 goes into the pot, same with TT. Perhaps I'm a bit over aggressive but Jamming that flop seems right.