Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2004, 02:27 AM

Default Too tight?

5-handed. I'm in the SB with ATo. An OK player raises from MP, a solid player 3 bets from the button. I fold.

The small blind in this game is 50%, not 66%.

Here's the results-oriented part. The tilting BB called with KTo and the flop came ATT. So, there would have been action.

Would you make this fold?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Too tight?

you gotta fold there. It is the 100% correct play in my book... What would the button 3bet with that would not have your A10 beaten preflop? If I had no choice and NEEDED to call there for some reason, I would much rather have a hand like 10js than AT.

-Eugene
Old 01-15-2004, 02:56 AM

Thanks eugeneel I feel better already. You know those times when you know something is right but then you see a flop and you second-guess yourself? I thought I'd make sure.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ps: Does Party have 5-max games 20-40 or higher yet?
Old 01-15-2004, 03:35 AM

i wouldnt call with this if the MP was not a solid player, the SB was 66% of the BB, and the button folded

party has 6 max 15/30 with a 10/15 blind structure

i dont know how good those pokerroom 25/50 5 max games are but for a true action junkie 3 tables of 10/20, 15/30 6 max should do the trick

lots of rake so find a decent affiliate - dont accept a 50/50 deal

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 01-15-2004, 03:50 AM

No way I'm doing anything but fold this hand. You might as well have had 72 with a 722 flop.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:53 AM

Hey aces.
Good fold!
-James
Old 01-15-2004, 04:16 AM

The pokerroom 25-50 5-max game is pretty good. At times. There's almost always at least one table going, sometimes as many as three. You can only play one table at a time tho. This suits me fine... I used to play 3 at a time when I was playing lower limits and I found I couldn't keep track of everybody. With all the screens popping up I found I was just playing cards, instead of paying attention to who I could call down with ace high, etc... Practice makes perfect tho I guess.

There seems to be a pretty high turnover at pokerroom too, which is good. As 'regulars' bust out or go elsewhere, there are new people coming in. I attribute it mostly to the beautiful thing that is TV poker, which also accounts for how soft the Party games are, from what I've heard.

The reasons I haven't really checked out Party are that I heard the wait lists for the 15/30 6-max games are insanely long. Also, I'm not used to 6-max games. If they've added more tables, or if I've been misinformed about the wait lists, please let me know.

On the subject of affiliates, I have a couple of questions. I've been approached a few times by a guy who has noticed how much I play, and who says I can get 15% of my rake back. All I have to do is go to his website and sign up again, under a different name.

This seems kind of strange to me. Won't pokerroom know or care if I have 2 different usernames from the same ISP? Obviously I wouldn't play under both names at the same time, but still, if they found out wouldn't they care? I don't want to jeapordize what I feel is a good thing here.

Also, if it's possible to sign up under 2 different names from the same ISP, is it possible that other people are doing it and playing under both names at the same time, even at the same table?

This all freaked me out so much that I just said no thank you, even tho it kind of feels like I said no to 'free' money.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 AM

Don't lose any sleep over that fold. I bullet fold it every time to 3-bets, and usually 2 bets (unless the raiser is a nut who raises any A or any 2-suited).

You will see a fair number of hands that flop like this, in time. It's annoying, but just give yourself a mental pat on the back every time the flop would have missed you, or got you outkicked. You will see players playing hands like QTo from MP to a raise and flopping QT and filling up by the River, to beat your straight etc. It's plus side is that they will continue to play these cheesy hands and pay you off again and again.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:54 AM

I seriously do not know what is wrong with Party. The waiting list for the $15/$30 tables seems permanently stuck around 40-50. Why do they not open more tables? I don't play these limits, but gad, do they really want to drive players to other sites?

I think you can sign up under a different username. If you are worried about it, just e-mail them (after you have got everything sorted) and say you signed up again because you wanted a new username, and get them to delete the old one. I have so far only found one site that allows you to change usernames, without completing the sign-up process again from scratch (Coral Eurobet, a Party skin. I would guess they automatically make the new sign-up for you, their software for this is a little more sophisticated that the other Party clones).

Remember - these guys want your business, so don't be afraid to BS them a bit for some $$.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:07 AM

Opps - the $30/$60 tables are what I was referring to above (Party have just 2).

There are quite a few $15/$30 and the queues don't seem too bad.