Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Hands Played with TJ Cloutier

These are three hands that surprised me that I witnessed while playing in a 220 dollar tourney with a 200 dollar re-buy in Aruba this year. Actually two hands that surprised me, one hand that proved the brass balls TJ has proven he has.

I'm not exactly sure of chip counts or blind levels so I'll give generalizations about these important factors.

First hand - Two tables left, TJ and myself amoung the chip leaders. Folded to TJ in the cutoff, he makes a standard raise, called by the button. Blinds fold. Flop comes Ace high, TJ bets all in, button, after LOOOOONG deliberation, mucks. During this deliberation, TJ gives his old "take my advice and do as you please" and when someone objects to the button taking so long TJ states "Give em a break, he has a medium ace and is trying to figure out what to do". After the button mucks, TJ shows 9 3 off.

These next two hands surprised me because I vehemently disagree with what TJ did.

Second Hand - Final table, folded to TJ in middle position, he raises a standard amount, folded to BB, who raises all in. The only other time me or TJ had seen this player put any chips into a pot was with two tables remaining he re-raised with AA. TJ was the chip leader and would still have a good amount of chips left but the player had enough to hurt TJ if he called. TJ called with A3 suited.

Third hand - Final table, about eight left, TJ is still healthy, but much less so and is no longer the chip leader. He limps utg, it's folded around to me in the small blind, I complete with J8. The big blind goes all in, he can cover both of us. TJ says "the hell with it" and calls with KJ off. I can't imagine playing this hand any worse and was very surprised that one of the best played the hand this way.

Just some rambling that I thought some might be interested in on this forum. Any comments welcome.

Peace

Goodie
Old 01-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Hands Played with TJ Cloutier

Thanks for sharing the hands Goodie. I still cant belive he called an all in with KJo. What was the result of the hand?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Results

The Second hand, the player turned over AK and no miracles for TJ.

The Third hand, the BB had AQ and despite myself having J8, TJ spiked a jack on the flop that held up and double him up.

The KJ hand was the one that got me. If he had raised the hand in first position, I wouldn't have minded it, but to just call and then subsequently call for all your chips with KJ off HAS to be a terrible play. I'm not saying he's not a great player, he clearly is. These hands just surprised me.

Peace

Goodie
Old 01-14-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Results

Your assessment is correct, the A3s and the KJ hand were both played terribly. Talk about mind games with that 93o, though, wow.
-James
Old 01-15-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Hands Played with TJ Cloutier

Just goes to show you. Being great isn't always enough. You have to PLAY great, that's what counts.

I've made my share of bonehead plays, in tourneys and cash games. At least during the critical decision on those hands, I wasn't a good player, but a chump. To really be the best, I have to always make the best decision I can, every time. Fortunately, those incidents become less and less common as I work on my game. Same is true, even for TJ.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)