Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Ebay Poker Chip Bidding (500w/case) - the 2+2 effect

WILL YOU GUYS GIVE IT A REST
THE PRICES ARE UP 15-20 BUCKS THIS WEEK(EVEN FOR THE BADS)
I SHOULDA BOUGHT LAST WEEK BUT I WAS LOOKING FOR THE FIRST TIME
TRYING NOT TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THE BIDDING WARS
I'LL WAIT, BUT THE WARRIOR IS NOT HAPPY

anybody else imported these to canada?
does UScost X 2 = Ccost sound close?? (after shipping, exchange, GST, fees)
Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Ebay Poker Chip Bidding (500w/case) - the 2+2 effect

I imported to Canada, took a beating on the customs tax, it was an additional 60 bucks at my door, add that to the us exchange, shipping and they are not cheap
Old 01-14-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Canada customs

Hello Mr SlipFits,

The cross border tax from USA should be GST only on Cdn. value.
That's 7% plus courier's brokerage fee(Canada Post only charges $5, but Fedex or UPS is $25 I think)
Were your chips worth $500 Cdn? Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Would really appreciate an answer - thanks.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Ebay Poker Chip Bidding (500w/case) - the 2+2 effect

[ QUOTE ]
I imported to Canada, took a beating on the customs tax, it was an additional 60 bucks at my door, add that to the us exchange, shipping and they are not cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that sucks. If anyone in the Fort Erie Niagara falls area is considering this I'd let you ship to my house in
Buffalo and meet you somewhere.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:54 AM

Default OK I got my 500 chips - now what? Help plz.

I'm better now. The bidding action slowed after a few days.
Got the 500suitedw/alum.case from 5stardeal for $105 +++
What units should I order? Most games will be 6-8 players and 1/2, 2/4 or 3/6. Some No limit tournies too. I like the red chips as my primaries. No 50c chips. (1-1 blinds for 1/2.) Chips in blocks of 50. Blues available too
I'm thinking:
.................... A....or....B....or....C....or....D
1's RED ...... 250 ..... 250 .... 300 .... 200
5's White... 150 ..... 100 .... 100 .... 150
25's Green... 50 .... 100 ..... 50 ..... 100
100's Black... 50 ...... 50 ...... 50 ...... 50

experienced advice greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards C
Old 01-17-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Re: OK I got my 500 chips - now what? Help plz.

Here's my set-up, typically up to 8 players at 2/4. 200 white, 150 red, 50 green, 50 blue, 50 black.

Good move avoiding the blues. I've never used them in play, and the blues are a waste for two reasons. First, there is no widely used standard value for a blue chip, any value I give it seems arbitrary. Not much use as $10, nor a $50.

Second reason, and this is a biggie, the blues having six white stripes are very easy to confuse with the whites having six blue stripes. if you mix a few blues and whites together (like in a pot), then stack then randomly, it's difficult to distinguish the two quickly. I leave them on the side for that reason. I wish I'd taken more white.

The black's are nice to have, but I've only used them as $1 chips in a nickel-dime-quarter game, never as $100's. The greens have come into play to color up and make change on the table, and when people re-buy.

After playing 2/4 and 4/8 at Foxwoods, I'd love to have a few hundred yellow chips as $2 for my 2/4 game, but that's a big additional investment. However, if you play 4/8, a $2 chip is all you need.

Anyway, from your proposed options, I suggest A as the best.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:56 AM

I ordered (and recieved) 500 chips a few weeks ago as well (and as a side note, love them). The color combo I got was 200 Red, 150 White, 100 Blue, and 30 green 20 Black. I think 5 star will let you dip below a 50 chip minimum. The reason I choose to break up the 50 chip count was that at least at my low level semi -monthly neighborhood games ($25-$30 buy in, $0.50/$1.00 level game - pretty low stakes) by the time you got to the 4th chip demonimation the value would most likely be so high ($2.00 or $5.00?)I would not need 8-10 of them per person in a 6-8 player game, so I didn't want to end up over stacked on the high side and too few on the low. And if I did want/need them to be the same value I would just state up front something like "Greens and Blacks both $2.00" If you like the idea of having 50 of one color (or can't dip below) then I would highly suggest you ONLY do 4 colors instead of 5 and do a 200, 150, 150, 50 OR 250, 150, 100, 50 combo. I don't think I would do a 200, 150, 100, 50, 50 becuse by the time you increase the amount to the last 50 count the value is so high you only need 2-3 chips of that color per person, and waste some chips that you may never use.

So, moving onto the colors. I choose 200 red as my highest quantity mainly because I liked the red ones the most. then I did choose 150 white next since it is a standard chip color. I then choose 100 Blue also because I liked the color, and just picked 30 green 20 black.

I will admit once I got them it is easy to mix white and blue when they are stacked. Obviously when they are not and you are looking down on them it is different, but my 4 year old has already out a few blues in with the whites in rows in the case, and you really had to look hard to see which was which that way. If you decide to do the four color combo thing, I would do red, white, green and black. Finally, as far as how they look now that I have them, now we are getting picky, but I think the red and black ones look cool (the black and white combo on the black chip is really cool) the green and blue are nice, and the white is okay, but you still might want to get more white then less since it is such a standard color.

Anyway, final piece of advice, sit down and really think about what types of games you are going to have - have many people average (5, 6, 8?)maybe two 5 folk games what is the minimum chip amount? $0.20? $0.50? just $0.10? then go from there and see how you would count out the chips?

Doing that I found out I would rather have more lesser value chips and less higher value chips, and really would have little value for too many $2.00 or $5.00 chips. reapeating myself now, but that is why i picked such a low quantity once I got to the 4th and 5th chip count, or else I would just have too many still in the case. Plus honestly as I also noted before this group of guys are more intersted in having MORE chips in front of them, even if they are worth lower amounts. Sometimes I swear they would rather each have 100 each, have them all be 0.25 and be more happy just because they have a buch of chips to stack and play with. what a bunch of grown up kids we are....

Old 01-17-2004, 12:29 PM

Okay, before I get too many emails, I just reread my post and for some reason my math skills are a bit off. Sorry - a few of my suggestions added up to 550 total chips. Maybe tonight I can use the ame logic and get 6 of a kind in a 5 card draw game ha ha.

Anyway, sorry for the poor math skills, tried to type the email too quickly.

I would suggest 200 (R), 150(W), 100(G) and 50(Blk). overload on one or two colors.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Okay now I have way over thought your question BUT I do have one more comment.

I know you said that you pretty much had decided against Blue anyway, so actually this comment may not be for you Mr. Rainbow, but for others reviewing the emails.

There are actually two styles of "Suited" chips with little icons of the heart, diamonds etc. on them. One style also has some strips on the chips that continue down the side of the chip (sometimes called "royal Suited" on ebay) these are the ones I got, and these are the ones that cause confusion between the white and blue chips. However, there are also "suited" chips that don't have the stripping, but instead have small dots on the sides of the chips. While I have not seen these in person, I am guessing that they may be a bit easier to distinguish blue and white.

Just in case someone (for whatever reason) really wanted white and blue chips, then the one style may be a better option.

ps I have seen both styles go for about the same $$$, but recently it seems like the "royal suited" are not as prevelant on ebay.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Thanks Blue Jacket and Rams Law. Anybody else?? N/M