Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Interesting play with A7s

I decided to check out the Sands' new poker room in Atlantic City and sat down in a very soft - loose passive $3-6 holdem game (if fact it was the only HE game being played at that time).

In mid position I was dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and had two limpers to me. I called expecting to have a few more limpers and no raises. That was the case with 4 more limpers including the blinds. (pot - 7 small bets)

The flop was 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], giving me a gut shot and a runner-runner flush possible. It was checked to me and I checked. The person next to me bet (he was somewhat aggressive but played weak hands). 4 more players called including myself. (pot - 12 small bets).

The turn was a 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It was checked to me and I again checked. The "aggressor" bet and only 1 person called. I went out on a limb and called.

The river was a 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me the nut flush. I was first to act and bet out. The aggressor folded and the other player called.

The play was interesting to me, because normally I would not have been so passive in checking then calling. I also figured on the turn I didn't have quite the odds needed for a call (looking still for a gut shot or another flush card on the river).

Your thoughts?
Old 01-12-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Interesting play with A7s

[ QUOTE ]

(pot - 12 small bets).

The turn was a 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It was checked to me and I again checked. The "aggressor" bet and only 1 person called. I went out on a limb and called.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not going out on a limb at all. You've got at least 6:1 there. You should bet.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:27 PM

I would have bet the turn. Everything else looks fine.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:28 PM

You also have two overcards on the flop, one that probably isn't so clean, but your ace could be. I personally would have played it a bit more aggressively by betting, hoping to clean out my Ace outs if one should come.

If the "aggressor" was aggressive enough, why not let him/her lead the betting on the river and try to get the checkraise--hopefully trapping them both for at least one bet, hopefully 2?

T