Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 06:47 PM

Default A chance for european players to use Paypal like we used to ???

I got an email from Paypal today. This is some of the information they provided:

---------------------------------------------------------
Dear XXXXX XXXXXXXX,

We would like to update you on our preparations for the anticipated future launch of PayPal (Europe) Ltd., a UK company, as the service provider for PayPal customers in the European Union.

This is a positive development that would help us provide our European customers with improved services to satisfy local needs, both online and through our new European Customer Service Centre in Dublin.

We anticipate that PayPal (Europe) Ltd. will begin operating in February 2004, subject to receiving authorisation from the Financial Services Authority (FSA) in the UK. Please note, no action will be necessary on your part. You will be able to continue using your PayPal account as you do today.

With the introduction of our new UK company, your customer relationship would automatically reside with PayPal (Europe) Ltd. instead of PayPal, Inc. We would also introduce a new User Agreement and Privacy Policy, similar to the current agreements but without US-specific references and modified to comply with UK financial services and consumer protection requirements.

---------------------------------------------------------

At first I thought, Ok no big deal, I'm not using their services like I used to anyway. But after I closed the e-mail and continued to play poker I just got a revelation.

Wasn't the reason Paypal stopped tranfering money to "gamblingsites" because of US-legislation.

Could this be a way for Paypal to escape US-legislation and gain back some of their previous marketshare in the gambling field . After all, online gambling and online poker has been exploding and just continues to grow. It would be strange if a company like Paypal would just let it go. They didn't mention "gambling" in their e-mail but I'm getting hopes they will get back on the wagon. Is my logic off here. What do you think?

I wouldn't mind leaving Neteller and their high fees for Paypal. Especially since us europeans can't cash out directly into our bankaccounts. Paypal allowed this.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: A chance for european players to use Paypal like we used to ???

I really hope this is true, but unforunately I doubt it. I remember Neteller saying they were supposed to implement better cashing out procedures for Eureopeans (e.g. Sterling cheques, how hard can that be, Stars do it) back in Novemeber, they did add more deposit methods but its still hard to get your money back out!
Old 01-13-2004, 06:51 AM

I beleive it had nothing to do with the US - more because EBAY (who bought them out) did not want to endorse online gaming.

I could be wrong though.

John
Old 01-13-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I beleive it had nothing to do with the US - more because EBAY (who bought them out) did not want to endorse online gaming.

I could be wrong though.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are right. Only time will tell.

But I'm still puzzled by the fact that Paypal even bother opening a new branch under UK-legislation.

It's an onlinecompany with onlinecustomers. They don't have any "face to face" contact. Because of this they don't need to spread their offices around the world to get closer to the customers. The whole world can use US Paypal as it is. Why open a new one under another countrys legislation moving all their European accounts along with it?.

I really hope one of the reasons is onlinegaming.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:24 PM

Default PayPal / Neteller?

Does anybody know any way of getting Neteller money over to Paypal without using a bank account??