Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Must move situation

Last night I'm playing in the 30/60 must move game right next to the main game. My name is next up on the list, and I see that someone is going to leave in the main game in the next few hands, so I take a break at my blind and am given an out button, and tell the dealer my intentions. When I come back a few minutes later the floor has racked me up and I enter the main game. Should I have to post blinds to get in? Normally you get "free" hands moving into the main game from the must move. Should I have to post $30 or $50?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Must move situation

Interesting situation. Theoretically, I think you should be made to wait until the BB or post 50, realistically, I think you'll get dealt in free.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:12 PM

The way it's done in chicago (or at Harrah's anyway), if you miss your blinds, you get a missed blind button, even if there's a seat open in the main game, unless they call you to the next table...there's no "waiting" because you know....so in that case you would have to post both blinds or wait for the big blind.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:50 PM

What is mean by "Must Move?" I have seen this on the board at the Wood, and I've never asked what it meant.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 PM

When a seat opens in the main game, or in the case of FW, the main games, you must move to it. It protects the main game from becoming short at the expense of the must move.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:16 AM

Presumably, after you got up, you were also given missed blind buttons. so those may have followed you to the main game, if the floor was fussy about those things when he/she moved your chips. So if they made you post, it would be unusual, but not "wrong".
Old 01-11-2004, 04:23 AM

Depends on the rules of the house.
At Canterbury, if you have a missed blind it follows you to the main game. Most rooms that use a must move system, also use this method to avoid people taking shots by walking the 30 min that they are first up on the must move list.
Suggestion for the same situation in the future.
Call the floor over, confirm that the player is indeed leaving (not just coloring up) and tell them you are next on the must move list. He will check you off as moving.
At this point rack and remove your chips from the table and you will not be given a missed blind button. Take the seat when they player gets up.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:47 AM

I'm sorry, I don't understand your response. Let's say a 20/40 game has a "Must Move" magnet on the board next to the table number this means....?

I'm not sure what you mean by "main game[s]"
Old 01-11-2004, 06:11 AM

If there's one main table and one must move table, it ensures that you have 1 full table whenever possible, instead of 2 partially full tables.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:21 PM

When there is more than one table at a particular limit running, often one game is designated as the "Main Game". The other games are usually designated as "Must Move Games", these are also sometimes called "Feeder Games". If you're seated in the must move game, you're name is on a list and as players leave the main game, players on the must move list will be asked/told to move to the main game.

The idea, as stated by another poster, is to keep the main game full. Must move tables are great as they go short handed, and there's money to be made there.

Regards,

T.