Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Party SH - bizarre chat

I was asked to play heads-up in a private room. Normally I don't because the rake is oppressive and I lose focus on my other tables, but the guy who asked me seemed incompetent enough, so I went. We played for a little while when and a third player sat in. My original opponent told him that we were playing heads-up, and asked him to leave. He said "OK", but then continued to sit there. I didn't mind because he helped shoulder the rake, and was playing even worse than the first guy. He lost his 500 dollar buy-in. Then three more. His chat was pretty typical for someone tilting off a lot of money:

"wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"OMG!!!!!!!!!!!"

"fu ck you fag got"

"unreal!!!!!!!!"

etc.

After buying in again, this time for 1000, he got nastier. And after every pot he won, he typed in "How did you like that one fag got". He also went on a pretty good run of cards. For about two hours he was winning pot after pot, and insulting both of us, even after blind steals. He was also playing much better, and I was thinking about quitting the game. But then two or three "beats" hit, and his play was as bad as ever. He went from 3000 to 2000 to 1000 to 500. At about 500 he started saying things like:

I'm going to kill myself tonight.

I hope you guys realize you're ruining someone's life right now.

One of the biggest pots of the session came up, capped three ways preflop. On the turn my ak spiked a king, and he had K6. He typed in "Actually I think I'll just shoot myself right now." He timed out and didn't come back, with 91.5 at the table. I thought I had seen it all when it came to poker chat, but this was disturbing, any thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Party SH - bizarre chat

The one thing about playing online as opposed to playing live is you don't have to read all that garbage if you don't want. Most of the time I just have "Totally Silent" on.

You can also appeal to a CSR and they can ban him from having chat privileges.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 PM

There have beem a couple of recent threads here on "trash talking." I think you should read them. I hope they are still here.
Regards,
Al
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 PM

Clearly the discussion of suicide at the end was a joke. (Not a humorous one, of course.) It could well have been a "cry for help", but don't believe that the person actually shot himself/herself at the end of the discussion.

I would say you should forward the chat log to Party support, and specifically point out the references to suicide at the end. If Party wants to contact the relevant authorities, they can. There's nothing more you can do.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 PM

The dude is obviously FKed up in the head for the suicide bit. Still tho, other than passing it along to party, it's not your problem. Many compulsive gamblers exist, some play poker online, some ruin their lives, and a few probably even kill themselves. Not my problem, not yours either.

al
Old 01-10-2004, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say you should forward the chat log to Party support, and specifically point out the references to suicide at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Party support providing suicide crisis intervention. That would be an amusing transcript to read [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 01:50 AM

I think the best thing for you to do is know that you are not responsible for that person or anything about them.

He/she obviously has some problem(s), and either it was a very sick joke or it wasn't. I vote for joke. Unfortunate for you that you had to be a part of it, but you had no say in his/her actions.

It's a silly thing to do but try this, it works: Stand up and step to the middle of the room. Close you eyes, extend your arms and turn in a circle slowely. Everything you touch you can control. Everything else you are not responsible for.

Wish I had the source for that excellent bit of wisdom. I am a read-aholic and the source escapes me at the moment. Next time turn chat off or leave. gl
Old 01-11-2004, 06:05 AM

I've never played at a private table online, but when you're invited to play heads-up and another player comes into your private (passworded?) room, wouldn't you worry about collusion?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:11 AM

Of course, but as Doyle would put it: wouldn't you risk a
little bit just to see if you could win a lot? If things
don't seem to be on the square, cut your losses and then
quit the game right away. On the other hand,... :-)
Old 01-11-2004, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately this person will probably not blow his brains out. However, one can hold out hope that he will follow through.