Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Bluffers getting lucky

I've had an unbelievable streak of correctly identifying bluffers and still losing a hand. For instance, I just lost a tournament with pocket jacks. a 7 3 came up on the flop, no flushes. I raised before the flop and only the BB called. He raises me a good size amount, however I know this guy and know how he plays. I believe my jacks have him beat so I raise in my last $600. He calls with a pair of 7s and a king. Hits king on the river and I'm out.

At first I thought it was just a one in a million thing but this happens about 80% of the time the last 2 or 3 weeks. I call a bluffer with better cards than him and he hits on the river. What else can I do? I can't fold better cards every time some bluffer raises because I'll have no chance to ever win a hand (if you play a lot of tournaments online, you'll know what I mean). However, this is really getting old and I don't really need a new monitor.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Bluffers getting lucky

Welcome to poker.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:03 AM

A lot of bad players will put all their money in on top pair on the flop, even if it is just a medium pair such as 7's.In his own mind, he might not of been bluffing.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:27 AM

Bad beats are a part of poker. Here's one for your viewing enjoyment:

***** Hand History for Game 316220841 *****
30/60 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 1785573) - Sun Jan 04 16:29:29 EST 2004
Table Card Room Table 590 (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: denng (1535)
Seat 2: highstakes71 (245)
Seat 4: pc132 (2980)
Seat 6: misterlint (1710)
Seat 7: crisuli (790)
Seat 9: strassa2 (740)
strassa2 posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to strassa2 [ 7d, Jc ]
denng folds.
highstakes71 raises (60) to 60
pc132 folds.
misterlint calls (60)
crisuli folds.
strassa2 calls (30)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 2d, Js, 7c ]
strassa2 checks.
highstakes71 bets (185)
highstakes71 calls all-In.
misterlint folds.
strassa2 calls (185)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ As ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 6h ]
Creating Main Pot with $550 with highstakes71
** Summary **
Main Pot: 550 |
Board: [ 2d Js 7c As 6h ]
denng balance 1535, didn't bet (folded)
highstakes71 balance 550, bet 245, collected 550, net +305 [ Ah 6s ] [ two pairs, aces and sixes -- Ah,As,Js,6s,6h ]
pc132 balance 2980, didn't bet (folded)
misterlint balance 1650, lost 60 (folded)
crisuli balance 790, didn't bet (folded)
strassa2 balance 495, lost 245 [ 7d Jc ] [ two pairs, jacks and sevens -- As,Jc,Js,7d,7c ]
Old 01-09-2004, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At first I thought it was just a one in a million thing but this happens about 80% of the time the last 2 or 3 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really thought it was one in a million that your opponent would hit one of his five outs?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At first I thought it was just a one in a million thing but this happens about 80% of the time the last 2 or 3 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really thought it was one in a million that your opponent would hit one of his five outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 times in a row? Yeah, maybe. If that is a quality play by him, please let me know and I will adjust my play accordingly.

What's annoying about bluffers like this is like the post above, "maybe he doesn't think he's bluffing". Get real. What could I possibly be raising with? Either an ace with a high quicker or pocket pairs. How is raising all in with a pair of 7s when there is an ace on the board anything but bluffing, lol? He thought I had a pocket pair and he was bluffing he had an ace. It's that simple. If you would put a majority of you're money into the pot hoping for 5 outs, I can't imagine what you would think a bluff is.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:27 AM

You wrote the A for ace small so i coulnt see it thats why I thought it was a 7 high flop.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 AM

Sorry about that. I'm still a little miffed. The real thing I was wondering is, is this a proper play from me. Should I be making a call that has an 80% chance of me winning but if I lose I'm out of the tournament. I'm just starting to wonder if this is not a proper play because I've had such bad luck with it lately. I don't like going allin because, from my own experience, it is not smart in the long run. But, it's very hard to fold a hand when you know the other guy is bluffing.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:51 AM

I'll apologize now if I'm too blunt in a moment.

You said yourself that you KNOW they're bluffing and you have an 80% chance of winning. Probability wise, its not impossible for you to get beat 100% of the time, its just not likely. So, suck it up and keep putting your money in if you believe you're a huge favorite. It'll eventually work out.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 AM

Default One Worse than That

UB multi, i am approx tied for 1st at table, and have 47 suited on BB. two limpers, SB folds, flop is:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
i check, UTG goes all in, late position calls, and i of course, call.

both show A6.

Turn : A
River: 6!

they chop me!

ARGH

was funny as hell