Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Ranking Players In Database

I utilitze my PokerTracker database of over 100,000 hands to rank players that I play against.

I determined very early on that how much a player has Won (Lost) should be pretty well ignored until you get a couple thousand hands of history on a particular player. Since most players will only generate a few hundred hands of history before they eventually bust out, change their name, or move on for any number of reasons, I decided that I would rank players based on 4 playing characteristics.

The four characteristics that I have a percentile ranking on each player are:

1. Flop %
2. PreFlop Raise % In Steal Position
3. Ratio of Bet/Raise vs. Check/Call
4. Showdown Win %

I then weight each of these categories as follows to come up with an overall ranking for a player. These rankings are as follows;

1. Flop % 50%
2. Steal % 10%
3. Bet/Raise Factor 15%
4. Showdown Win% 25%

I would appreciate any comments/feedback on the categories I am using and the relative weight that I am assigning each of these in ranking a player.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Ranking Players In Database

Interesting..

But, why not put all that info in player notes rather than trying to come up with a ranking system. Those individual statistics are much more useful as separate numbers.

Sam
Old 01-07-2004, 01:23 PM

I have found that when playing 5 to 6 games that clicking thru player notes is not practical. I have a Voice Command for each player's name which pulls up an Excel chart for that player immediately on a seperate monitor. It is concise with a summary of his/her percentile rank in each category and his overall percentile ranking. I then say "Close" and it closes that chart.

Avoids any mouse clicking on Player Notes and/or looking through pages of notes.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:32 PM

remind me never to play against you
Old 01-07-2004, 01:46 PM

I also find player notes cumbersome and have adopted a similar system, based on a voice activated wife. When faced with a tough decision I begin to analyse things out loud, vocalysing what I have obserevd about that particular player's play up until now. This reminds my wife (the second part of the team) that I am in the room, am still playing poker after three hours, and that there was something extremely important she had to remind me to do, like leave the bins out. I then ask her to wait a minute which she ignores and plows on regardless listing all of the reasons why that job just cannot wait to be done. I then become more distracted, lose track of my thought process, and snap something back. Meanwhile the timer bar is near its end and I have about three seconds to make a decision, end up hitting the wrong button and lose another $200. I point this out to her in a disgruntled manner. Finally now that the crunch time is over I huff, she huffs and silence descends again until the next big hand comes up.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:07 PM

Default LMAO (N/M)

Old 01-07-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: LMAO (N/M)

So Im not the only one who has a Voice Commander ;-)
Old 01-07-2004, 03:22 PM

I'm in the process of writing a little standalone Windows program that reads the PT database and exports this kind of info into your Party notes file.

If anyone is interested in a copy, I'll be happy to share when it's done. I would check with Pat before I distributed this, but I doubt he would mind.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:26 PM

I ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR LAUGHING!!!

Thanks for the laugh. That was great. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 03:52 PM

Funny god damn post.

I'm afraid to make a sound while playing, because the wife will come over and watch the hand and if she feels the hand was played poorly or she doesn't like the result of the hand, she will take it over from me. First I'm allowed to bluster and sigh once, but then I have to get up without comment.

MS Sunshine