Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 01:10 PM

Default When nothing hits

Here is a hand from the other night on Party $25 NL. I have AKd in MP I raise to $3 (blinds are .25/.50). 2 callers.

flop : T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $10 (pot), 1 fold 1 call

turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet $20 (allin) - hoping to get him to fold (he doesn't [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])

river 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He had 94h

He told me, "you can't bluff me" I told him I wasn't bluffing, I was seening where he was at and what he would play. So I reloaded and won it back later on from others (this image really helps later on, because people love to call you, because they think you may have nothing)

Any comments. This is the good and bad about Party, people should fold (to me at least when they have the lowest pair on the board).
Old 01-05-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: When nothing hits

I think on this hand, on the turn with position I would take a free card, especially if I was sure to get paid off if I hit.

Without position I would probably bet like you did.

BTW, did the caller have you covered? If not, how much did he call on the turn?

Paul
Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM

we were pretty much even, under $35 or so If I remember right.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:48 PM

If you knew this player was unbluffable, you should have checked the flop. But often your bet is correct.

Either way, I would have bet the turn, with all those outs.

Otherwise, the only error I see in your play was your comment afterwards. After player says that he can't be bluffed, whatever you do, don't argue with him. Instead, you should say something along the lines of, "My next bluff will get you," and put a note never to bluff that person again. Note, however, that you will always have implied odds against him, because he will call you down when you do hit.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM

what posistion were the two callers in? because if he wasn't on the button or one of the blinds, there is absolutely no reason for him to call the preflop raise, I wouldn't put any money in the pot preflop with that hand.
I have noticed on Party especially a lot of arrogant card players who think they wrote the book on poker, this guys sounds like one of them. He got Lucky and thats all there is to it. There is no reason for him to think his pair of nines are good after you raised preflop and then made a large bet on flop.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:45 PM

Everyone else's advice sounds good- just wanted to add that these are the sorts of reasons its important to get basic notes on people ASAP. I've only been playing the party NL games for a few weeks but its becoming evident that the sooner you can peg someone as a calling station the sooner you will know to not go all-in with overcards trying to push people off the hand and lose like you did here. If I see someone make even one or two calls like this I will make note of it- better safe than sorry.

-muz
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 PM

Tells.

I read most players at NL like open books. For instance, you normally raise more with big pairs. The amount you raised fits AK. You played it predictably, and paid for it. Easy read.

IM NOT SAYING THIS WAS THE CASE IN YOUR SCENERIO, it is just somthing to ponder, ya dig honky cat?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:23 AM

I pretty much bet $3 with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK, (depending on positon AQs,AJs). I normaly reraise back with AA,KK,QQ it depends on the table. I know some people think you should bet more with AA,KK but to me its a toss up. I want callers (1-2) anymore than that and I'm worried. Of course last night I lost with both AA and KK. I bet $3 on both got 2 callers on both hands. The AA hand, I bet $10 on flop, 1 caller, $30 on turn, he rivered flush (A9s). KK hand I bet same way, he just happened to hit str8 on the flop with J8s (9TQ). I can look back at these and say well I should have bet more. Would they have called $5 with that J8s or A9s. Who knows. I hate starting the night having to dig myself out.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:09 PM

What's your username at Party, Toad so I can cut and paste this kind summary of your play into the player notes. If you don't mind you could also PM me how you prefer to play samll pairs and suited connectors just to complete the picture. See you soon. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Flop bet fine, but when he calls you should figure on him calling you down and put him on a T at least. Take the free card to spike a A/K/Q if you had position (you don't say if you did). Add note to value bet this guy more in the future and bluff less.