Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Internet Poker: Fast?

I keep searching for these alleged "fast" games on-line. I always seem to get onto tables where there are several players that take forever to act. I swear I could see more hands live than I do on-line and it really adds to the pain of those "can't do anything right" sessions when you sit there endlessly waiting for your turn.

I notice that it isn't entirely other players' performance; I often use the pre-turn action buttons and I notice a delay between when it's my turn and my action occurs. I even sometimes get "dealer warnings" between the time I see that it is my time to act and my action occurs even though I checked the "fold in turn" button several minutes prior to my turn.

I have a cable modem so MY connection should be better then average. The site usually claims my connection is at least "very good".

I played in three SnGs at TGC yesterday. All 3 of them took over an hour to play. I finally just turned maniac in the last one because I just couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't worth the $.30 per hour I was hoping to make.

Am I alone with this frustration? Is there a problem on my end that I can fix (do I need more than 256K RAM)? One of the things that I was looking forward to on-line was speed of play (some of the regulars in my "fun-time" home game are painfully slow) and I have to say that I've been very dissapointed with the performance I've been seeing on-line. At least live, there's other stuff to pay attention to when you're dealing with a slow player or two. Some sites are worse than others, but I've yet to find a site that is consistently performing at a level that I would expect.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Internet Poker: Fast?

I have a cable modem and very rarely have lag. Do you have other applications running on your PC? How out-dated is your PC?

As for waiting to act, if you want some movement play 3 tables short-handed at the same time. That should keep you on your toes.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:55 AM

I have Cable Modum and TGC is ALWAYS lagging. I can type in call, raise 10 seconds before it actually happens.

TGC has very slow spftware.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:13 PM

How many sites have you tried? Speed of play varies a lot. UltimateBet is very fast. Cryptologic is very slow. Others are in between.

Additionally, multi-tabling will multiply the amount of action you get every hour.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:55 PM

one word: ultimatebet

that [censored] is fast as hell and u can play like 10 tables at once
Old 01-02-2004, 03:09 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

hey rock, i have seen people mention ultimate bet and they are right. i play for pure enjoyment, and UB is the most enjoyable experience for me, the software is the best i have seen, games are tougher, which i dont mind cause i feel it is making me a better player. if you have more monetary motiviations in your play, then you are going to have to deal with the crappy software of party, TGC etc....I have favorite things to do online is UB MTT Tourneys, i have just started to run some party 3/6 games as well as my tourneys and it is night and day when it comes to competition but party is so damn slow if i am only playing 2 tables there i will end up poking my eyes out with a dull object. maybe you should check out some affiliates and explore some new sites and find one that has a nice balance for you.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do I need more than 256K RAM?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're running Windows XP, definitely yes.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM

I don't think you can run any version of windows, much less any poker software with 256k of RAM.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:23 PM

Default yup, TGC/prima is often slooww. (n/m)

Old 01-02-2004, 04:11 PM

Then it's probably 256M of RAM that I have. I used to do some graphics work on my PC so I had a pretty "top of the line" system by "5 years ago" standards.