Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Do We Blame Culpepper for this One?

Vikings lost their big game with the Cardinals yesterday on a lucky bounce (they got a lucky bounce on a field goal though) and perhaps a questionable referee call (I think the call was ok) in the end zone on the last play of the game. Culpepper threw an interception in the first half that gave the Cardinals 3 points more or less. However, he seemed to do ok in the second half. It seemed like the Vikings over used the flanker screen and didn't try and get the ball in Moss's hands enough. Moss seemed to burn the Cardinals on the opening drive but the Vikings didn't throw the ball that much to him after that. I question Tice going for it on 4th down on the opening drive as well.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Do We Blame Culpepper for this One?

I only saw the ESPN hilight, the receiver did look like he was pushed out, however it looked to me like they should have also checked to see whether the pass was thrown past the line of scrimmage.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:19 PM

"however it looked to me like they should have also checked to see whether the pass was thrown past the line of scrimmage."

It may very well have been.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:23 PM

lol. I didn't watch the game but I thought it was funny that no one mentions George O'Leary anymore. Remember way back in week 6 when the Vikings looked like world beaters and the defense was making big play after big play? Mike and George had a lovey dovey ESPN conversation about how Mike gave the defensive coordinator job to his high school coach and blah, blah, blah. Can't stop the vaunted Cardinal offense on 4th and 25. lol.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:25 PM

It really wasn't close, the line of scrimmage was the 28, and his foot was on or just over the 30 when he threw.

In my opinion, this one goes squarely and only on the coaching staff. This looked very much like the Chicago game. How does the #1 offense get shutout by the #32 defense for a half? True they did start moving in the second half but the game never should have come down to a jump ball on the last play.

By the way I am a Packers fan and living in the Twin Cities makes it that much sweeter [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Karma, baby...

Last year, the Vikings, already woefully out of playoff contention, scored a TD against the Saints in the final seconds of the 4th quarter. Down by one, they could have done what normal, decent people do and kick the PAT, sending the game into OT. But no, the Vikings figure, what the hell, we have nothing to lose... let's go for two. Culpepper fumbles the snap and still manages to run his way into the endzone.

If the Saints had won that game, they almost certainly would have made the playoffs.

Karmic payback is a bitch...
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM

Who did that last second touchdown hurt the most- the Vikings or Cardinals? The Vikings lost a playoff spot. But, did you realize the touchdown also cost the Cardinals the #1 pick in next year's draft? If they had lost and finished with a 3-13 record, they would have gotten that #1 pick. Instead, there is a 4-way tie for the NFL's worst record at 4-12 (with Giants, Raiders, and Chargers). I haven't found an official NFL statement about who "wins" the tie-breaker but the unofficial statements have said the Cardinals don't get it. They'll be #3 or #4.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:20 PM

I saw this posted on another site.

Here's the draft day order:

# TEAM-------------------W-L-----OPP W-L %
1. San Diego-------------4-12--------.504
2. Oakland---------------4-12--------.516
3. Arizona----------------4-12--------.543
4. New York Giants------4-12-------.555

Old 12-29-2003, 09:39 PM

The talk in Arizona is that McGinnis fired the team up by telling them that they could screw ownership by winning. He knows he is going to be fired. Neither the owners, nor the GM came into the locker room to congratulate the team on the win.

In any event McCown might have saved his job by throwing the TD pass if the first two teams take Manning and Roethlisberger. The Chargers might stick with Brees, and/or the Raiders with Tuiasosopo, but if they do they will probably trade down.

Knowing the Cardinals they will trade down anyway, because they won't want to trade up and pay the 1 or 2 pick, or pay the 3 pick. They probably would have done that even if they had gotten the first pick.

There were more Packer fans at Lambeau rooting for the Cardinals than Cardinal fans in the stadium. The Vikings should have blown them out.

Ragnar
Old 12-30-2003, 02:19 AM

Default Karma - But Culpepper Still Sucks

Look at the Bad Breaks:

1) 5 forced fumbles - zero recovered
2) Perfect onside kick. Batted into a sea of Vikings but into the hands of the lone Cardinal
3) Lucky first fourth down play that I thought was a fumble, short, or both.
4) Lucky first touchdown where Russell? was completely thrown to the ground - how that was not offensive pass interference I don't know
5) Iffy defensive pass interference on last drive.
6) Pushoff by Poole in the end zone
7) Iffy if he would have gotten second foot in.

Just bad bad Karma. No one to really blame in this game - except for the crappy kicking game and special teams: 3 points missed and a missed onside kick. Daunte was o.k., except for the horrendous 4th down pass and the pick.

Defense played great and they finished the season with 4 strong games. My one thought is that on the 4th and 30th, when the Vikings realize that they can get the play off, I think the Vikings take a timeout. Chaos definately favors the offense here. also, I wonder if the clock was mismanaged at the end of the game. With a 1+ minutes and a timeout the Cardinals are going to be able to get all their plays off. I think the Vikings take timeouts so in the event that the Cardinals score they have a little time for a field goal drive.

The real villian is the evil owner of the Vikings who is too cheap to spend the money to put out a quality team. They were something like 5 million under the cap. Thats insane. He then has the nuts to blame the coaching. I keep thinking, what if it had been Meloy (sp?) defending on that last play instead of Walker.