Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Playing middle pocket pairs preflop

I would like some input in the propper strategy of playng middle pocket pairs preflop late in a tournament when you have a chip count of 6-7x the big blind and 60-75 places off the money line.

Should a person with middle sized pocket pair without any callers, in early or early middle position, go all-in and try to steal the blind, limp, or make a middle sized raise such as 2-3 x BB in hope of either no callers or just one callers, or fold.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Playing middle pocket pairs preflop

allin
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 PM

You're at a point where you need to make something happen pretty quick or you're out.

I would hope to open-raise all-in with this type of hand. I'm hoping to just steal the blinds and maybe get lucky and double up. You don't want lot's of callers with middle PPs. At least I don't......

If I'm in late position and there's been several limpers ahead of me, I'll usually just limpalong and hope the flop brings me something I can shove' em in with. The difference in my philosphy here is that with a lot of callers already "declaring" that they want to see the flop, you're much more likely up against some decent hands and most are not likely to go away with the size of the raise you're able to put in at this point. I may even fold a lower middleton PP at this juncture and hope the future brings you better cards.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:02 PM

You've got to make money quickly to make it to the payoff. Go all in.