Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Party during its clowniest hours...

How do you guys adjust for the ultraclowny times on party, like Saturday and Friday nights?

I have been reviewing my stats and I have a much higher BB/hr during the traditionally slower times.

It seems like it doesn't make sense to say I should only be on party when the superclowns aren't playing. They're the worst players, and logically it would seem like I should be making more.

I thought about maybe I would catch up with my Std.Dev if I got enough hands in, but my database is about 15000 hands.

Let's see if I actually get any meaningful replies.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Party during its clowniest hours...

I apologize in advance if my responses fails to satisfy your definition of meaning. Do you vary your play against different types of opponents? Obviously, the correct strategy against a weak tight player differs dramatically from that against a LAG. I will leave it to better players to make actual stylistic recommendations however, I believe that minor strategic adjustments will improve your rate against the "weakest" players
Old 12-28-2003, 10:22 AM

15,000 as your total sample size isn't enough to judge. That probably only means 3-5,000 of those hands are from the clown hours. The longterm really has not set in yet, and won't for quite awhile.

Strategy adjustments would primarily consist of doing more check/calling (let them bet out their 9 high on a river bluff), and 3-betting a clown more often with hands you'd typically fold against a solid raiser, such as AJ, if this will get you heads up against the clown.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:19 PM

I by far have my highest variance on friday and sat nights. To the point where I play tourneys on these nights. Last time I played I had a (edit)'nice person' cold call 3 bets pre-flop with a J6 offsuit. of course I know this because he won a huge pot with 6s full of jacks [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. later another called a raise with 36 unsuited, I had A3 suited and flopped the wheel str8t. Yes I realize this is where the big payouts come from but I cant afford to pull out any more of my hair. If you can afford the swings these nights are by far the best.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:12 PM

What if the weakest players were getting just a little help on the river? It's a sure fire money making strategy (until detected) for every site that uses it.

I do so much better at UB than at Party where the games 'seem' so very good. I just can't seem to beat the moron with Q6 v my AQ often enough to earn a decent rate.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:26 PM

Default re: fixed games

[ QUOTE ]
What if the weakest players were getting just a little help on the river? It's a sure fire money making strategy (until detected) for every site that uses it.

I do so much better at UB than at Party where the games 'seem' so very good. I just can't seem to beat the moron with Q6 v my AQ often enough to earn a decent rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i didnt say it, fred duke did.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:51 PM

wow.. what happened here. i take 2 weeks off from the internet and come back to see all these new people posting about conspiracies and some clown in news and views talking about how he is beating the 1-3 at turning stone.. haha
Old 12-29-2003, 04:11 AM

Default Its time to make some adjustments

I would say that you need to make some adjustments.

Here are some suggestions:

1. If a manaical raise is in front of you and you have a strong holding....try to isolate with a three bet...you can often win without improving

2. Tighten up your starting hands. You want to play hands that you will be getting much the best of it.

3. If you miss the flop ....fold

4. If you make a pair on the flop...raise it....dont be passive or you will get rundown over and over again. also, the pot is usually large enough by the time you make it to the flop for many hands to draw at you with +ev for only one bet.

5. Learn how to get off of top pair. This kills most novices in these games. Top pair holds up less often - so don't automatically go down with the ship every time you make top pair. If an opponent raises more than one caller on the turn or check raises on the turn this is an indication of significant strength. It is often time to muck top pair in those situations.

6. Do the things that are necessary for you to win the hand. If you are in the big blind...and flop top pair...but it is only a medium pair (say 9,9)....this is a great spot to checkraise. You can almost count on a bet from someone in these types of games...so use it to limit the field. Also, if you have a hand like JJ in the blinds...consider not raising it so that you can checkraise the flop if you have an overpair.

7. The importance of position is increased since you need to put youreself in position to win hands with good raising and getting off of hands of mediocre strength without committing many bets. Position is the key to both.

8. When you are heads up against a maniac and the pot is small....dont worry about winning the pot on the flop. Here you need to shift gears and focus on inducing bad bluffs. Flat calling and Check/calling are great in this spot...since the risk of a free card is less because the pot is small and the implied odds from letting the manaic continue to bluff are fantastic.

So turn that frown upside down and get ready to enjoy wild games.

Bubs

Old 12-29-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Its time to make some adjustments

A right-on-the-money post.

MS Sunshine
Old 12-29-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Its time to make some adjustments

I've got to say that I have been one of those who can win almost anywhere but I have a really hard time on Party simply because of the unpredictability of the games. Your post is one that I just printed off and will put on the wall next to my puter...thanks and a great post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]