Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2003, 10:11 AM

Default KQs in EP $2/4 at Party

I'm a new poster to this forum. Hopefully this is the right place to post.

My question is on how to play KQs in EP. I'm playing $2/4 at Party. The games range from fairly loose to extremely loose. I know that this is not the best starting hand in EP, but I like to raise to punish the players who will cold call two bets with garbage. Is it correct to raise this hand?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Re: KQs in EP $2/4 at Party

KQs is a very strong hand, especially in loose games. You should definitely be playing it from every position, so long as it hasn't been raised in front of you. It is perfectly acceptable to raise. My raise/limp percentages with this hand first in from up front are about 75%/25%.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:46 AM

I agree with MK. KQs is a very solid hand in a loose game so you are definately gonna play it if someone hasn't already raised. I raise it most of the time, but will limp on occasion as a change of pace.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:38 AM

just one comment on this. I agree it's a strong hand but given that many players will call in these games with A-x, how do you then play when an ace hits on the flop and there's one or none of your suit? What if there's also a king or queen? What if there's not? I tend to lay down to a bet and a call on the flop when it misses me and there's an ace. I'll call the flop if a king or queen hits with the ace. But if I don't get help (2 flush, trips or two pair) on turn, I'll fold to a bet there unless I'm head up with a player I think is likely to be betting without an ace. So I guess what I'm saying is that while it's attractive to raise this hand because you will get called with worse, it's also a hand that doesn't mind lots of callers when it hits. So might it be better to just limp it early in games where you won't eliminate aces with a raise?
Old 12-23-2003, 12:29 PM

After the flop, you should be playing it pretty much like any other hand. If there is an A out there (and you don't have a pair or solid draw), you may fire off a bet if you raised preflop and got it down to 1 or 2 opponents otherwards its a checkfold situation.

Post flop play is a bit trickier at times with KQ then it is with something like AK, but you flop a K or Q with no A often enough to make the hand profitable just on its pair value against loose opponents.