Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 12:55 PM

Default NL $30SNG - KK hand, Please critique

I am Gator in the following hand - please advise. Thanks.

Table Route 66 (Real Money) -- Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: PlayerOne (1580)
Seat 3: PlayerTwo (1105)
Seat 4: PlayerThree (735)
Seat 5: PlayerFour (1700)
Seat 6: GATOR (680)
Seat 7: PlayerSeven (375)
Seat 8: PlayerEight (805)
Seat 9: PlayerNine (260)
Seat 10: PlayerTen (760)
PlayerTwo posts small blind (15)
PlayerThree posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to GATOR [ Kh, Ks ]
PlayerFour calls (30)
GATOR raises (60) to 60
PlayerSeven folds.
PlayerEight calls (60)
PlayerNine folds.
PlayerTen folds.
PlayerOne folds.
PlayerTwo calls (45)
PlayerThree calls (30)
PlayerFour calls (30)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jh, Qs, 4s ]
PlayerTwo checks.
PlayerThree checks.
PlayerFour checks.
GATOR bets (150)
PlayerEight folds.
PlayerTwo folds.
PlayerThree calls (150)
PlayerFour calls (150)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qd ]
PlayerThree checks.
PlayerFour checks.
GATOR bets (100)
PlayerThree folds.
PlayerFour calls (100)
** Dealing River ** : [ 6s ]
PlayerFour checks.
GATOR checks.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 950
Board: [ Jh Qs 4s Qd 6s ]
PlayerOne balance 1580, didn't bet (folded)
PlayerTwo balance 1045, lost 60 (folded)
PlayerThree balance 525, lost 210 (folded)
PlayerFour balance 2340, bet 310, collected 950, net +640 [ 7s 8s ] [ a flush, queen high -- Qs,8s,7s,6s,4s ]
GATOR balance 370, lost 310 [ Kh Ks ] [ two pairs, kings and queens -- Kh,Ks,Qs,Qd,Jh ]
PlayerSeven balance 375, didn't bet (folded)
PlayerEight balance 745, lost 60 (folded)
PlayerNine balance 260, didn't bet (folded)
PlayerTen balance 760, didn't bet (folded)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: NL $30SNG - KK hand, Please critique

Play seems pretty standard, sometimes, you're never gonna get someone to lay down any flush draw. If the scary queen doesn't come on the turn, you can certainly be enough to make him really think about it.

FYI...nobody likes reading the hand history. Take the time and write it out. You'll get more responses that way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 01:13 PM

Thanks for your advince on both counts (hand and writing out hand history).

I posted about a week ago another hand (from a live, limit tourney). If if you will excuse the cheesy excuse to try to get it analyzed again, I'm going to repost it below for two reasons. First, does the rewrite below comform to the preferred way of posting hands?

Second, I still didn't get the answers I was looking for on that hand. Was my original raise appropriate (given the point in the tourney, the fact I'm only against the blind, etc). I bet both for info and to try to win the hand right there. Once the info told me I was probably beat, was I correct to see the turn, etc.

Again, excuse the repost but thoughts on the way I wrote this up (vs. posting a hand history) and any thoughts on the hand in general will be appreciated.

This hand is from last nights Limit Hold Em Tourney at Foxwoods. Buy in was $50 + $15. 162 players (Each player started with T2000). Nine players made it to final table. Approx prize money as follows: (10 – 18 $100; 9th $190, 8th $200; 7th $250; 6th $300; 5th $400; 4th $600, 3rd $730, 2nd $1,000 and 1st $3,000).

The final table is in it’s third hand. One player was eliminated in the first hand leaving eight of us. Blinds are T2K/T4K. Betting is 4K/8K. I have T26K. Big Stack is approx T90K with another stack of approx T75K. Three other stacks in the T20K – T30K range. Small blind has just over $30K.

Again, this table is only in it’s third hand. In the previous hand, the current small blind (who was the big blind at the time), checked after two limpers. After a scary flop (something like 9H 9S TH) a limper bet and the big blind called. He called a bet on the turn and another on the river and turned over A J to take the pot with ace high. In other words, I saw him call three bets with Ace high. That’s the only hand I’ve seen him play in the whole tournament.

With that in mind, please provide feedback on the following hand.

I’m in the big blind with 9C TC. It’s folded around to the small blind who completes and I check. (Pot size 8K)

Flop is JH, TS, 6D.

Small Blind bets T4k, I raise to T8k, Small Blind reraises to T12k. (Pot size 32K)

Turn is QD (JH, TS, 6D).

Small Blind bets T8k. I go all in for T10K. (Pot size 52K)

River is 2C.

Thoughts on this play in general and as it relates to this stage of the tourney, stack sizes etc. Results to be posted later.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:21 PM

In this situation, I'm not gonna just double the BB UTG - I'm gonna try to get 6-7 times the BB in there - I think with a premium hand like that, you should have tried harder to get players out preflop...

heck...if the blinds were just a little bigger, I'd say all-in, but in this case, - say 200 in the pot, and if an A hits the flop, you slow down...otherwise, you take it to funkytown...

I don't like just doubling the BB in Early position...hand is too good for that....should have been a bigger preflop raise and he should have had a choice for all his chips before he even hit the flush draw.

RB
Old 12-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Yes,
Much bigger bet before the flop. I don't understand the minimum bet raise before the flop, I have seen AA lose so many times because of it. I think a $200 bet preflop is about right.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:23 PM

Preflop, your raise was too small. Raise to 120-150.

On the flop, again, your bet was way too small. You have an overpair and there's a flush draw on the board. You should overbet the pot. Since that will take half your remaining chips, bet all-in.

At every point in this hand, you did nothing to deny your opponents correct odds to chase their draws.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:33 PM

Raise was too small preflop. Don't want to mess around with KK when there is already a caller. Make the bet $150. If the limper calls, fine. Once you are multihanded, I hate this flop. I try to lose as little money as possible. Maybe take one stab at it, like you did, but that is it. I agree with checking the turn. On the river, I call if the bet does not make a huge dent in my stack, or if I am already low and desperate for chips.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that in mind, please provide feedback on the following hand.

I’m in the big blind with 9C TC. It’s folded around to the small blind who completes and I check. (Pot size 8K)

Flop is JH, TS, 6D.

Small Blind bets T4k, I raise to T8k, Small Blind reraises to T12k. (Pot size 32K)

Turn is QD (JH, TS, 6D).

Small Blind bets T8k. I go all in for T10K. (Pot size 52K)

River is 2C.

Thoughts on this play in general and as it relates to this stage of the tourney, stack sizes etc. Results to be posted later.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not in love with this hand for a few reasons. There is something to be said for playing 2nd pair strongly against a maniac, but as McEvoy/Cloutier point out repeatedly...a maniac can still have a hand and he can be twice as dangerous because it's harder to see coming.

I think if you call his 12 k at the flop you are committed to following through with bets/calls. If you fancy your chances to still do some damage losing your blind and the 8 k, then probably fold. Look for a better spot where you at least have top pair and solid kicker as opposed to second pair weak kicker. Maybe you never pick up a hand but move up 2 spots in the finish because of conservative play.