Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 08:06 AM

Default How to play this hand

$200 tourney on PP. We are down to about 250 players. Average stack is 5500. I have 4000. Blinds are 150/300.

Biggest stack at the table has 14000 and raises to 600. He has been playing about 70% of the hands. Folded to me in the BB and I have QQ. What should I do?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Re: How to play this hand

I would call this bet and be prepared to go away quickly. 600 doesn't hurt your stack that much and if you spike a set you can probably double up.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:26 PM

Since any reasonable raise would be well over half your stack, raise all in. If he's been playing 70% of the hands, then QQ is very likely to be best here and probably has him in very bad shape.

How did it turn out?

Peace

Goodie

Old 12-22-2003, 04:41 PM

Easy one, Chip leader playing 70% of the hands if he always raises the mininum then with QQ I'm all in [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 PM

You either call and push all your chips in if you flop favorably (ie. set or QQ is overpair to the board) or you test him right away and see if you can pick some cash unchallenged. One way gives you some options, the other puts a lot of pressure on him (provided he doesn't have the big boys of course) but leaves you no options. I feel a modest raise would be the worst play.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Default Results

Thanks to all who commented.

I went all in and lost to AJ when an A flopped. This hand really made me think of the struggle I am having with 2 concepts:

1) It is good to get all your chips in when you are a big favorite.
2) If you run out of chips, you are done.

Maybe I am not a big enough favorite to go all in here, I am not sure. (Guess I could be up against a monster, but I really thought I was only facing 1 over card at worst.) But this was a situation where I was really torn between these 2 concepts.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Results

I am pretty sure it's the right move, although as ever, what do I know?

A lot of the time you get the pot uncontested and add 25% to your stack, which is excellent.

When he calls, if your read is right and he has just one overcard, you're 7:3 favourite to double up. Again that's a big +EV move and one you cannot afford to pass up. Some of the time he'll have JJ or TT or something and you've got him clobbered.

All of these are much more likely than that he has KK or AA. Of course those are possibilities, but with only 13 BB's worth of chips you can't afford to fear overpairs.

If you don't make these kind of moves, I don't think you'll be able to amass chips.

Guy.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:09 PM

Thanks.

A question to ponder:

How many 7:3 situations do you think you will face in a tourney that has 1500 players? I don't think the logic should be: a) I am 7:3 favorite, therefore b) I go all in.

Now, if since I am shortstacked in this situation I HAVE to take my 7:3 for all my chips, I can accept and understand that. Just part of me sees the logic in calling and playing safe if A or K comes.

LOL, I think I am losing my edge.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:32 PM

I have not read the results.

raise to 1800. I would probably put in the rest of my chips no matter what the flop was. QQ is powerful enough that you should try to get all your money in the pot and double up. Given your small stack you do not want him to fold before the flop.

Another option is to just call and then check-raise on the flop assuming he will most likely bet if you check to him.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:37 PM

With your stack size you are bound to go busted on this hand. If you had more chips then of course its a different story. The problem with just calling and then check-fold if there is an ace on the flop is that, IME, you will be against a smaller pair or total caca enough times that you just can't fold. For this reason I would just try your best to double up. If you get beat so be it. There is no shame in getting busted with QQ in this spot.