Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 12:11 AM

Default BAD KK Laydown?

Party 1/2

I'm in the Small blind with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

3 calls and 3 folds to me, I raise. The BB folds and the other 3 call.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]

<font color="blue">Well not what I wanted, but I decide to come out firing to see where I'm at. </font>

I bet, all three call

** Dealing Turn ** : [ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

<font color="blue">Heres where I lose my mind. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] </font>

I check, 2 others check, the last bets. I LAY IT DOWN, one other calls the other folds.

** Dealing River ** : [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

They both check and the turn raiser shows T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

My K's were leading the whole way. GRRRR.

This hand leads me to a question that I struggle with....when to give up pocker pairs with overcards hit. I disticntly remember thinking that with 4 people in the hand, 1 had to have the Ace...

what really sucks, is that if I would have bet, they might have folded to me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Smack me around!

Old 12-21-2003, 01:54 AM

Default Re: BAD KK Laydown?

Pretty bad. You bet to "find out where you are", then, when they say, "hey, no worries man, we're all just drawing", you check fold the turn?!

OK, option 1: check fold the flop. Painful? Yes. A profitable way to play KK? Yes. You have flopped less-than-top-pair, with very few outs. This is not a hand to fall in love with.

option 2: bet the turn, fold if raised. No one has shown any strength. Fire again.

Both of these options are better than betting and check/folding the turn, in my opinion, unless the bettor is both very tight and very passive.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 12-21-2003, 04:39 AM

Your right...Maybe I have a split personality. Bet and fold.. wtf was I doing.

I think I wanted to start out strong and when everyone called, I told myslef "someone has an A". I think 9 out of 10 times they do. So probably folding on the flop is the best answer...especially in the SB
Old 12-21-2003, 09:44 AM

your name says it all. you arent thinking you are playing your two hole cards by emotion. emotion gets you broke.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:08 AM

You played the hand badly and you obviously know that. Just make sure to learn from these hands.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:07 PM

SMACK! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If you got some aggression on the flop bet, then I could see why you'd be concerned. When you checked the turn, it was open season on your flop "bluff". I gotta bet this until I'm told otherwise. If someone has the nerve to slowplay a weak-ace hand here, then I'll tip my cap on the river.

Amazing that someone will bet out for gutshot on the turn,, but I guess his plan came together.

SMACK! (one more for good measure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 12-22-2003, 07:12 PM

The button had 14 outs on the turn, and the preflop raiser didn't bet on the turn either, so he must have missed too. May as well try and pick up the pot there, no? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]