Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 11:54 PM

Default What\'s your move?.....PLO hand

1/2 PLO...I just sat down with the max buy-in($200).2nd hand.For the sake of this we'll say you know nothing about the players at the table.

UTG($240) limps in,UTG+1 folds,limper#2($480),limper#3($33),3 folds,I($198) throw in the extra $1 with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],and the BB($129) checks.

FLOP J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check,BB bets $2,UTG makes it $8 to go,limper#2 folds,limper#3 re-raises to $14.It's on me.What's my move?

Play/Results/Hands tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: What\'s your move?.....PLO hand

This is tough. The stack sizes and positions are all wrong. Ugh.

I am going to say that we're happy to get the last raiser all-in since he hardly has any money. If he's got aces or can outdraw us, good luck to him. So we're concerned about the BB and UTG players.

I don't think folding can be right here. Three jacks will be winning a large amount of the time. So do we call or raise?

The board is littered with draws, so we want to get our money in before the river if we can. In an ideal world, we'd raise now, the others would all call, a safe card would come on fourth street and we would push in.

If we raise now and get reraised by BB, it looks very much as if he has aces, so we can fold. This loses us $50 more than if we just call and then BB raises. The uglier situation is if we raise, BB calls, and UTG raises. Now UTG need not have the aces: he's getting multiway action and can justify pushing in on a big draw. This leaves us with a tough decision to make. Yuck.

Suppose we just call. If the others do the same, then we can check-raise if a safe card comes on the turn: the last player is bound to push in, and if I have calculated correctly that will only leave us with $60 or so. That's not too bad. BB will be all-in, too, so that last $60 is only in danger if UTG outdraws us at the river. If anyone else bets the turn our check-raise will be all-in, which is what we want.

So I think the play is to call here. If a raising war breaks out behind us, a fold can't be wrong since we might be behind and can easily be outdrawn. If they just call too, check-raise a safe turn card. It is unlikely you will be bluffed if a heart or straight card comes: most players don't have the nerve to pull a move like that in a big multiway pot, especially with one almost all-in.

Guy.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:19 AM

if they are fools keep raising for all your money and gamble. if they are decent or tight players fold you are in a terrible pickel.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies....

I ruled out someone having AA(if i was wrong i could live with it),so i decided to re-raise the pot(to $61.50).BB folded,UTG re-raised to $210,and limper#3 folded.Back to me.Ok...Maybe this person was slowplaying Aces,being UTG and all.I know i'm probably in trouble.I hope he just has a monster draw that will miss and call all in for $134.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

As good as i could've hoped for.

I turn up my set of Hooks and he mucks his 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].Bottom set and huge draw.Two dimes shows him as an ever so slight favorite at the point all the money went in.

PokerStars Game #216294319: Omaha Pot Limit ($1/$2) - 2003/12/20 - 21:55:33
(ET)
Table 'Electra' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: UTG ($240.85 in chips)
Seat 2: xxx ($160.95 in chips)
Seat 3: limper#2 ($480.60 in chips)
Seat 4: limper#3 ($33 in chips)
Seat 5: xxx ($282.20 in chips)
Seat 6: xxx ($37.70 in chips)
Seat 7: xxx ($197 in chips)
Seat 8: n1stunnor ($198 in chips)
Seat 9: BB ($129.30 in chips)
n1stunnor: posts small blind $1
BBposts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to n1stunnor [7c 6h Js Jc]
UTG: calls $2
xxx: folds
limper#2: calls $2
limper#3: calls $2
n1stunnor: calls $1
BB: checks
*** FLOP *** [Jh Ah 9s]
n1stunnor: checks
BB : bets $2
UTG: raises $6 to $8
limper#2: folds
limper#3:raises $6 to $14
n1stunnor: raises $47.50 to $61.50
BB: folds
UTG: raises $148.50 to $210
limper#3: folds
n1stunnor: calls $134.50 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Jh Ah 9s] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [Jh Ah 9s 6c] [3c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
n1stunnor: shows [7c 6h Js Jc] (three of a kind, Jacks)
UTG: mucks hand
n1stunnor collected $415 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $418 | Rake $3
Board [Jh Ah 9s 6c 3c]
Seat 1: UTG mucked [Qd 9h Th 9d] - three of a kind, Nines
Seat 2: xxx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: limper#2 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: limper$3 folded on the Flop
Seat 5: xxx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: xxx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: xxx (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: n1stunnor (small blind) showed [7c 6h Js Jc] and won ($415) with three
of a kind, Jacks
Seat 9: BB (big blind) folded on the Flop

Old 12-21-2003, 09:19 PM

Hey stunnor,

This hand is very much an 'it depends' sort of thing, due to the quality of players on stars, and bankroll considerations.

First off, I would be 99.9% sure that middle set was the nuts here, because there are very few players in the stars 1-2/2-4 game who don't raise with AAxx regardless of position. You are probably a dog to the field (if not to an individual player).

If you raise pot here, you may not know what to do when the turn card comes, and you're not going to get paid off it pairs. If the big draw raises you back here, the dead money/addition players make you +EV.

If you're bankroll is tight I like calling and check-raising all in on the turn. If bankroll is not an issue, pot it now, and if you get stuck out there on the turn dont be afraid to dump.

P.S. A flop fold is not horrible, but it is a bit weak in this game.