Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Default AJo in Middle Position

I'm MP with Jc, Ah

folded to me, I raise. LP calls everyone else folds

Flop [ Ts, Js, 4h ]

I bet, LP raises, I call
<font color="blue">too weak here? Should I assume he's betting J's with a good kicker? but knowing my kicker is better? Or put him on a set or 2 pair. Playing heads up, I tend to question the validity of raises. </font>

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Kh ]

<font color="blue"> OK, an over card hits, but this guy bet the flop. So unless he has JK , or was bluffing with AK this should'nt hurt me. I decide to go in the check and call mode</font>

I check, he bets, I call.

** Dealing River ** : [ 4c ]

check, he bets, I call.

The bad guy lays down [ Qc Ad ] for a straight Ad,Kh,Qc,Js,Ts

I don't think anything I could have done would have changed the outcome (except folding preflop). If I would have reraised on the flop, he would have surely called and got his king anyway.

Should I have thrown this away after the turn? I hate calling down and throwing BB's away?

Or should I just chalk this up to a player making a heads up semi-bluff with a inside straight draw, who got lucky?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:28 PM

Default Re: AJo in Middle Position

You have an easy 3-bet on the flop. He'll have something like KJ or QJ way more often than he has 2 pair or a set.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 PM

Reraise the flop. True, he'll likely pay to see one more card, but you're ahead. His raise can mean more than one thing--overcards, flush draw, straight draw (as in his case), and of course the cases where he will have a better hand in which case you'll know by his capping. This is valuable knowledge that comes at the cheapest round of betting after the flop. However, it's most likely you're ahead. Let him know who is boss and take the lead.

When the turn comes K, slow it down and go into check and call mode. He got his straight, but make him show it otherwise he'll think he can make you fold to anything, and you don't want to be know as a folder.

Garland
Old 12-19-2003, 06:34 PM

I also think this is an easy three bet on the flop, you have TPTK and this is a good place to find out where you stand.

Nice PF raise.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LP calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you just hate that?

On the flop, 3-bet, you are the preflop raiser and the flop has hit you. He could easily be raising for a free card on this flop, or with a worse pair. You might have been able to fold on the turn then if he raises you.

Since you played passively and let him take the lead, you end up calling down. Saving bets ends up costing you bets.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, 3-bet, you are the preflop raiser and the flop has hit you. He could easily be raising for a free card on this flop, or with a worse pair. You might have been able to fold on the turn then if he raises you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I probably would have bet into him again on the turn so he wouldnt get a free card.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:43 PM

I would probably re-raise the flop, but I can understand your hesitation. That said, I would definately bet the turn. You're the original raiser, he'll probably think you have at least AK, and therefore if he raises again there's no way you're ahead at this point.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:57 PM

I'd 3 bet on the flop and then bet out on the turn and fold to his raise.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:27 PM

Man, that is sick. The dude is raising on a gutshot? Yeeeha! I tend to agree that 3 betting the flop would've been the move, but as it turns out, it would have saved you only 1/2 BB assuming you would bet/fold to araise on the turn. At least you could have said "I did all I could". Don't know if that would have made it easier, but it is consolation. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 09:13 PM

Great stuff, thanks everyone. I'm doing good PF and raising when I should. I will evern raise to a bet on the flop, but I tend to call a reraise to me when I only have TPTK. So many suckouts.

This also brings up my #1 leak. Paying people off. I'm sure subconsciously I checked/called because thats the cheapest way to see river. and hope he was just bluffing.

So the concensous is I should have 3 bet the flop, and then bet the turn. If he raises the turn..FOLD. right?

But what if he just calls? Then I'm stuck with betting the river too. This would result in 1 BB more lost (I think)

I guess these close hands come down to knowning the opponent and making a judgment call. Can't win them all.

BTW - I just thought of something else too. I see people reriase the preflop raiser based, I think, on the them thinking that the PF raiser only bet BECAUSE he was the PF raiser, and not because the flop hit them. So the re-raise is to see if the PF raiser actually hit some cards. This of course strengthens the reason to make it 3 bets.

(did that make any sense?) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]