Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2003, 11:04 AM

Default The Ultimate NL decision

I'm a pretty solid Limit HE player and am working on my NL game. I do OK, but always have trouble with that one "ultimate" decision when my stack is short near the end of a tourney.

I played a SNG at TGC the other day and got down to the final three as the short stack. Setting up the situation, I felt I had some respect from the other players as they were not calling my large raises and didn't make too many plays on me. A few hands before the one in question (below), the player to may right made a play in which I think he bought me off the pot. Even though I thought he was bluffing, I decided to pass as it would have put me all-in and although I was short, I wasn't up against the wall yet.

OK, the hand.... I'm in BB get T9o (not great, but I'll take it). Unless I drag a pot I'll blind out next orbit. BTN (#2 chips) folds and SB (#1 chips) completes and I check. Flop comes K9K. SB bets about half my stack and I decide to make my stand and shove it all-in. It wasn't unreasonable that my 9 was good and figured that SB would go away (unless, of course, he had a K). Well he did have the K and my tourney was over. I didn't feel too bad about it; I caught a piece of the board and I only had 2 or 3 more chances to do better or I was out anyway.

Was this too aggressive?
Was it a good move and the cards just betrayed me?

TIA