Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Open-raising trash from the posted cut off (aka \"one off the button\")

What do you think? I have missed my blinds and posted BB+SB in the cutoff.

rharless has 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is CO

Folded to me, rharless(poster) raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop(5 4/5 SB): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

rharless bets, Button calls

Turn(3 9/10 BB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

rharless checks, Button checks

River(3 9/10 BB): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

rharless checks, Button checks

--
Note to slavic, I put this HH in the converter and the first line came out "SB folds, UTG folds" though it should be "SB folds, BB folds" (I manually corrected it in the text above).
Old 12-16-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Open-raising trash from the posted cut off (aka \"one off the button\")

Rharless,

I don't like the maneuver, without knowing the players. If everyone will fold then good move. If you made the movejust to make a play, I do not like it.

What prompted you to make this play?

Old 12-16-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Open-raising trash from the posted cut off (aka \"one off the button\")

I think its fine.

Your getting 2.5-1 immediate odds on stealing the blinds. thats too good to pass up aagainst players that will actually fold them on occasion.

I hope you see that there isn't much to say. This is very dependent on who is on the button and in the blinds, but they would have to be extremely weak tight (both pre-flop and on the flop) as your hand has almost no value (J high) other that its steal equity.

You are risking 1 bet to win 3, or 2 to win between 4 and 5 bets assuming you always bet the flop when called. That's good, but you can also get yourself into trouble here playing a hand with reverse implied odds (ie often you can't play strongly post flop even if you connect).

I don't like my chances here against many Party opponents (who call a lot).

I read a thread on here once, with various respected posters, which said "when it is folded to me in the cutoff and I have posted, I always raise"

So, I decided to give it a try. Problem was that I don't think my post-flop skills are strong enough to make up for this preflop maneuver.

At the point of this hand, I did not yet have clear opinions on the players behind me. Turned out through ongoing play that the button was the table funder.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:29 PM

I agree, and I suspect that you won this hand against the button's gut shot draw.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:31 PM

I read a thread on here once, with various respected posters, which said "when it is folded to me in the cutoff and I have posted, I always raise

I did not realize you posted a late position blind. I get brain dead late in the day. When you said the poster, I thought you meant poster as in 2 + 2 poster. Never mind. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2003, 05:34 PM

I hope you see that there isn't much to say.

Actually, I think there is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] MG doesn't like it, nottom thinks it's fine -- opposite opinions already from two solid players.

For my reasons that I tried this, see my post above.

My plan was to bet a flop with a J, a 6, an A, or something swing-and-a-miss like 742r. If called, I did not have clear plans for what to do on the turn (unless it improved my hand, obviously).

I don't like my chances here against many Party opponents.

I should have mentioned, this was Party 5-10, which in my mind (despite contrary opinions that have been posted here), is much tougher than 3-6 and down.

I hope slavic chimes into this thread as he was at the table. I don't know if he had reads on the player to add to this thread. At the point where I made this play, I did not know much about any of them, but turned out that button was overall really aggressive (20% PFR). Had I known that I would not have tried the play.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 PM

What do you do on the turn?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 PM

I love the PF play, sucks the button called. I'd probably bet the turn also. Ni han.