Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 AM

Default How bad was this play?

Small buy-in home-game NL-holdem single-table tournament. 11 bought in and got T1000 each. We use the Tex Tears structure, and now 7 are left (level 6, blinds are 75-150). I won a few pots in the early rounds (lvl 1,2), but after that my cards have been cold. Have only been in one hand after lvl 2 which lost me about T400. There are three BIG stacks in MP2, CO and button.

Anyway, I'm in SB (about T650) and picks up AJo. All fold to MP3 (about T1100), who raises the minimum (T150). He is quite a loose raiser, but always raises the minimum. I've seen him make this play with hands as low as A4o. I think for a moment, but I finally decide to gable it up, since the tourney only pays 1-3, and I would at some point have to go up against the bigger stacks. I also think there's a chance I have him dominated, and he might fold some better hands due to my image. So I push all-in. Good? Bad? Awful?

Results in white text below --->
<font color="white">
He takes quite a while to make his decision, and the longer he thinks, the more I think he has AQ. The railbirds and some players start to go at him with comments like "You can't let him get away with this bluff! Call him!" He was about to fold, but in the last second he changed his mind, said "count 'em", called me and showed AQ. Flop came Q high, and no jack came on the turn.
</font>
Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Re: How bad was this play?

It looks like a reasonable move to me.

Your stack is too small to fold at this stage, I think, so you need to play this hand, especially against someone who would make this raise with a weak ace.

Your options are to move in, as you did, or to flat call now and move in on any flop. The second course of action has the potential advantage that he might fold AQ or even AK if he misses the flop and you move in.

If you make this move, make sure you pretend to look at the flop before shoving the chips in though!

Guy.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your options are to move in, as you did, or to flat call now and move in on any flop. The second course of action has the potential advantage that he might fold AQ or even AK if he misses the flop and you move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't even think of that one, think I need to buy a NL-book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Should I check-fold if a K or Q comes on the flop?
Old 12-15-2003, 04:47 PM

I think your play is ok, I don't like the call, bet any flop choice since you are likely ahead now. If you do go for that play, you can't check or fold on the flop.

I love the white text for spoilers!

Craig
Old 12-15-2003, 05:05 PM

you can very easily fold AJ in this position